Hairballs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tiffmaxee, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi All,

One of my 2 1//2 year olds was in the ER She was vomiting bile and I thought trying to throw up fur. I’m really worried now. My vet is on vacation for two weeks so I can’t discuss this with him. The ER vet thought she might have a partial obstruction but there wasn’t a lot of debris so had her on IV fluids for about 24 hours. She wouldn’t eat there so I brought her home. The ultrasound report is scary, mentioning some intestinal thickening that could be IBD or less likely small cell given her young age. Also mentioned small kidneys that could be a degenerative condition.

She’s doing okay since she came home although I found an area where someone threw up that wasn’t there before unless I missed it.

What do you use for Hairballs? I had some treats I used to give Max but of course Mocha who needs help won’t eat them but Chai will.

Any ideas appreciated.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you tried Slippery Elm bark? I’ve not used it specifically for hairballs, but it does soothe the gut and is great for IBD as well as constipation, so it may help with hairballs too.

3. tiffmaxee

@Sharon14 No but I will. Any particular brand? Thanks.

4. Sharon14

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yeah for Hairballs , I use egg yolk powder from Foodfurlife.com

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Sharon14

@Bobbie And Bubba what slippery elm do you use? Do you think it would help with hairballs too?

7. Bobbie And Bubba

I am not really sure about hairballs and SEB.

I use the egg yolk powder from www. Furforlife .com for fur balls

I’m tagging @Beth 73 about the SEB and fur balls

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. Sharon14

I just figured it would help since it helps with constipation.

9. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

For hairballs you can just use olive oil if she will eat it mixed in with food. I use coconut oil with Whispy periodically, -- there is mixed info about whether it is good for them, but he loves it so I use it sparingly.

We never had luck with those tubes of hairball gels, but all 5 of our civvies love these, two per day: https://www.petsmart.com/cat/dental...airball-soft-cat-chews-12304.html?cgid=200127

Good luck with everything and I hope she gets better :bighug:

10. tiffmaxee

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of the egg yoke powder but she cat eat chicken. I wonder if egg yoke would be okay. I’m upping the pumpkin to a teaspoon a day and see if that helps. She’s doing okay so far but I am worried about her kidneys as she is peeing once during the night now which shouldn’t be and drinking a little each day. Her sister never drinks. :nailbiting:

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bubba is allergic to chicken also , but he had no issues with the egg yolk powder. You could try and see. Since I started it and I think it’s been a few years, he’s had maybe 3 hairballs. And with s long hair cat that has IBS , that’s pretty darn good!

I also use Foodfurlife EZ complete and it has chicken livers in it. Apparently, chicken allergy kitties are not allergic to the chicken organ meat.

12. tiffmaxee

Thanks. Bobbie. She gets sores in her lip and is currently eating only duck. I’ll ask my vet when he returns from vacation unless I’m seeing her throw up if try to. Poor baby. I’m so worried.

13. Sharon14

How’s she doing?

14. tiffmaxee

@Sharon14 Hi. She’s acting fine today. I’m going to attach the ultrasound report that gas me very worried.Thanks for asking.

When they ran s USG without telling me why I was confused. When I took her home I asked for copies of shh her tests and then things made sense. Her urine is well concentrated. I’m hoping she just has small kidneys. Other than the sudden vomiting if bile only and the every 2-4 week hairball no signs of GI issues.

Attached Files:

15. Sharon14

Glad she’s better today! Maybe it was just a hairballs or upset tummy. It’s good that she’s concentrating her urine. Overall it sounds like a pretty good report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.