Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I just want to wish everybody from Canada a Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy all the delicious
    pies that I have seen pics of that you posted.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I second the emotion Diane. I think there are going to be some very happy tummies in Canada today. Got me thinking of what I would like to do for our holiday meal this year. I wish I could get some of those pies for dessert.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Me too, Pumpkin pies are my absolute favorite, I love everything pumpkin.
    I am addicted to the Pumpkin Pie Spice International Coffee Creamer.
    My mom who passed made the best Pumpkin Pie you could ever taste.
    When you would take your fork to cut into it you could actually hear how airy and fluffy
    It was. How I miss her and her cooking and baking. She loved to cook and bake. To bad I don't take after her lol

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You have other talents and attributes, probably some she didn't have and would appreciate and celebrate!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Cooking for a vegetarian and me is hard. Markets don't seem to understand the concept of sliced turkey, enough for one person. They will sell me a grade C turkey, I can just microwave that right? I make my own stuffing but start with a box to get things moving. Read the labels, vegetarian stuffing is nearly impossible to get.
    The rest is Heaven for two people who normally eat microwave slop in front of the TV. Smashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, baked cauliflower with peppers and of course unsweetened apple sauce. Did I mention gravy? Lots and lots of gravy and the one time a year I can use a whisk. Neither of us can stand pumpkin so maybe some apple pie or better yet apple betty with frozen yogurt. Then some Baileys.
    Thanksgiving comes earlier in Canada (so the story goes) because harvest time comes sooner because of the climate. As an added bonus we don't have Black Friday and we don't pardon turkeys here. It's just a drag on the justice system anyways.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone. And especially for Lewis who loves his turkey.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

All those veggies sound good to me

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Aw, geez! You are making me hungry and also making me think of doing more cooking and adding all the vegetarian options from my veggie days and from catering to various girlfriends of the DS.
    Baked walnut and cheese balls in a bechamel sauce
    Mushrooms, onions and peppers simmered in red wine, mustards, and brown sugar.
    Warm lentil and tarragon salad.
    The Vegetarian Epicure cookbooks were my best friend.

You can get fresh half turkey breasts at Loblaws/No Frill's. They cost almost as much as a Grade C turkey. Go with the whole turkey and keep your critters in a turkey coma for days after.

5cd753332100005900cb9f44.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canucks.​

8. Noah & me (GA)

A Canuck! I resemble that remark.
    Cynthia's getting a migraine, is it too late to go to KFC?

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

So what is the traditional Thanksgiving for Canadians? Is it turkey?

10. Noah & me (GA)

Pretty much the same as far as food and family and if you're into it, sports. College football and the NFL are a big deal here too, just not in this home. Neither is pumpkin pie, just disgusting.
    Canadian Thanksgiving falls on the second Monday in October, the same day as American Columbus Day. American Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November. That's something I'll never understand having a statutory holiday so close to Christmas. Some people really want to travel twice in five weeks to see their families but for me dysfunctional family time ended long ago. And the shopping! We get all the American networks here so we're also bombarded with Black Friday deals (cross border shopping is a big deal here, organized busloads of tour groups) and sadly someone being trampled to death in a Walmart.
    Canada is the one place on Earth you could wake up in a daze in a hotel and still think you're in the U.S. Same TV shows, American news at 6:30, NY Times and USA Today in the lobby, same food. Exceptions being the metric system and every label on every retail item printed in English and French. Doughnuts are a big deal here but we don't say "eh". People everywhere can be polite but Canadians have a penchant for apologizing for anything and everything. Sorry but it's true, I'm really sorry and I'm sorry about the pumpkin thing. Sorry everyone, really! I personally apologize for August 24, 1814, the day my British ancestors (I'm actually of Dutch heritage) burned down the White House, a day that will live in infamy. These are the same people who put mayonnaise on French fries , not good for your heart. Sometimes revenge comes slowly in absurd ways.
    So the short answer is turkey, I just got a bit carried away. Sorry!
    Come visit anytime, if you fly you'll learn how to say "flotation device" in French. For more Canadian history...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.