Harley has BUN and Creatinine elevation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gladioli66, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gladioli66

Gladioli66 New Member

Hello,
    It has been awhile since my last posting. Harley has been doing well with his diabetes, under control with diet alone. Recently he had a check up with blood draw. His BG was 81 and fructosamine was 193. I had asked the vet to also do a recheck on kidney function since she was already doing a blood draw for the above. With his age I was concerned about the high protein diet's effect on his kidneys. Unfortunately with the new diet, his BUN and creatinine are now elevated. Not scary high, but of concern because going in the wrong direction. What would you all suggest for this problem? I was planning to limit his food choices to lower phosphorus or is this the wrong course of action? Any suggestions welcome. Just received that copy of labs. Harley's BUN is 45 (16-37) and Creatinine is 2.6 (0.9-2.5). Not bad, but would like to keep it that way.
    Thanks,
    Gladioli

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Reason for edit: Received copy of labs.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Gladioli, you’re smart to stay on top of things! Do try to find a low carb, low phosphorus food for Harley, also add water to his meals to help flush things through. HERES a great site with everything you want to know about CKD.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Do you know the blood level of phosphorous (and normal range?
    Do you know the urine specific gravity?

4. Gladioli66

Gladioli66 New Member

3- 4 months ago Harley's BUN and creatinine were normal. Likely his elevation now are directly related to change in diet.
    No urine test was done , so no specific gravity.
    Blood phosphorus was 4.7 (2.9-6.3) so Harley is right in the middle of the reference range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.