Harley (Humulin)--dinner plans...won't be around at +12

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherry and Harley, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi there-

I think I already know the answer to this question, but would feel better with a little outside confirmation. I've got dinner plans with an out of town guest and am not sure that I will be back in time for the +12 PM shot. I might, but I'm not sure. Since Humulin is short acting, could I give her a tiny little boost of a shot to carry her over a bit and then give her a reduced shot when I got home to get her back on schedule? Or, should I just delay the PM shot? I will be leaving for dinner at about +9. Maybe I should wait and see where her BG is at that time?

Thanks everyone!!

s

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Sorry you didn't get a reply. Hopefully you worked it out on your own.

For future-giving a reduced dose and then topping up can be complicated as you can end up overlapping your doses.

As Humulin 'peters' out around +9, could have checked bg and given a reduced dose.
    Alternatvely, if you were back at +13, just given a late shot. Because Humulin is an intermediate acting insulin you could have gone straight back to your normal shooting time at next shot if bg numbers allowed (so say it would be a +10-11).This is because the insulin doesn't stay in the system like Lantus/Lev do.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see your post last night --

With Humulin N, if the BG is rising at +9 and at a shootable level (i.e. >200 if that is your cutoff), then yes, it is safe to shoot a reduced dose.

Alternatively, shooting at +13 or +14 is ok too --- full dose. (NOT shooting at BOTH of these times --- one or the other) Note that you may need to reduce the NEXT dose a little if you go back to normal time (so it is only +9 or +10)

Shifting a shot by ~2 hours with Humulin N is usually ok. Lantus and Levemir are more fussy about the 12 hour schedule.

Shifting a shot by more than 2 hours just requires a little more thought (reducing the dose if the time is shorter)

phoebe
    p.s. I thought I sent you my phone number a couple weeks ago via PM - did you get it? Or is my memory failing me (again)? :smile:

4. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi Phoebe and Kate-

Thanks for responding. I actually just waited and gave her the PM shot 1hr late. Unfortunately, she's back in the pinks again. :-( Hopefully she'll get back on track with the next couple of cycles.

Yes, Phoebe, I do have your number. i didn't want to bother you with this though, since it wasn't really an emergency. Thank you so much for being so supportive.

Take care, ladies!

s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.