Harley (Humulin) PMPS 154~~~gave .75u

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherry and Harley, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Just as I was oh, so ready to go to sleep....gonna test again in 5 minutes (+4.75) to see which way we're going...will feed again...

She's not showing signs of hypo (i.e., she's alert, cleaning her coat, just ate a bit, responds when I call her----in the past she was completely unresponsive and wandering around trying to cram herself into ridiculously small spaces).

How long do I wait her out? Should I give her some syrup now? I don't know what the REALLY BAD number is....just know that 34 is not good. Is there a "uh oh, you're really in trouble now" number? She's acting pretty normal right now...

I'm oh-so tired and have an early morning....sigh....looks like I'll be up for a few more hours. :cry:

2. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Re: Harley (Humulin) +4.25=34, fed, +4.5=34!!!

Dear Sherry,

How low has she ever dropped before? Has this been the lowest she has dropped?

You are using Humulin N? I think, and this is just my opinion and I am not a vet nor vet tech, but having had two diabetic cats, I would probably rub some syrup on her gums, not a whole lot, and you don't want to give her too much food right away, just small amounts, and hope that you test her and see her numbers start coming up.

I could not go to sleep myself with numbers that low. You should keep watching her behavior and make sure she doesn't go and hide somewhere. Have you ever had to take her to the ER for very low BG's?

Hope she will be okay, and you too. Try to stay calm. Please keep posting if you can.

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

3. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: Harley (Humulin) +4.25=34, fed, +4.5=34!!!

Hi Jean-

Well, unfortunately, I have become well versed in hypo. First on Vetsulin and now on Humulin N. I thought for sure it would be an easy breezy night just like last night....the early #s were almost identical (close enough). The swings are so extreme and unpredictable on this damn insulin! I'm days away from Lantus, so we're just trying to hold on.

Yes, I have taken her in for hypo...twice. The first time, was the worst of all. I can't remember what the emergency vet said her BG was, but she was in a BAD way...I wasn't sure she was going to make it on the ride to the hospital. Right now, she looks fine. None of the usual signs. She's totally alert and grooming again after her last snack; just hopped up on the couch next to me (in the past, she would be trying to shove her head into a corner or crawl under a space that a tubby kitty just won't fit! She's had 2 half cans of food within the past 45 minutes. I tested her again and she's at 55 now. Will test again in another 5 minutes, which will be +5. I think we'll be ok if she's a little higher on this next text. I have an automatic feeder set to open at +8, so she'll get another snack then.

Haha....ok, it's been 5 minutes with this message so will test now. +5=53

s

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Re: Harley (Humulin) +4.25=34, fed, +4.5=34, +4.75=55, +5=53

Hi Sherry,

Well, it appears that she may be on the way up, hopefully. Remember too, that the strips may vary by a couple of points one way or the other, so if she was +55, and then five minutes later +53, I would not worry too much. Maybe check her again in about 10 minutes.

But, at least to go from +34 to +55, that is looking pretty good. And she seems to be acting okay, and that seems like she has eaten a good bit of food, so I would still keep an eye on her and feel better if she is over 60 on the next test.

Hang in there. You will be a lot happier I am sure, once you get her on Lantus. I have never used Humulin N, but know that it is much harsher and faster dropping than Lantus or PZI that I used to use.

Take care! I am signing off for now. It is almost 5 am here in Maryland. Best wishes!

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

deleted as my brain hadn't woken up yet

Jen

6. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: Harley (Humulin) +10.5 282; give AM shot 1.75u

Hey Jen-

I think your post was meant for someone else? She's usually in the 200-300s pre-shot (a couple of 400s too). I've never had to make that kind of decision.

Shot early thing morning to try to keep her from swinging so high back the other way. I'm going to stay home a bit this morning to watch her, but I have to be far, far away from home this afternoon, and won't be home again until late. At some point, I have to start doing some work! Fingers crossed!

I'm hoping that the Lantus gets mailed out to me today, so I will have it for Friday. We'll see.

s

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi Sherry,

How is the sliding scale working? Maybe drop the dose down a little?

Since Harley peaks at +5, what you did last night was fine - feeding the 34 BGs. Hopefully you will start to feel more comfortable with this stuff --

Are you on the west coast? Maybe Patti and Merlin (GA) can help with sliding scale questions after my bedtime - she lives in Washington state. Right now she is visiting Emmy and Dude, so -- not home.

So -- maybe drop the dosing scale down 0.25 or 0.5u.

When you start Lantus, you can't use the sliding scale --- just start at 1u BID and leave it for a few days for Harley to get used to it.

Read the sticky posts about Lantus -- the first few days, Harley will be filling the "Shed", so don't adjust the dose unless Harley is going TOO LOW. Don't increase if he is high for the first couple of days while he is getting used to the new insulin.

It usually takes a few days for a Lantus dose to "settle".

Post in Lantus ISG for expert advice -- I've never used Lantus, so I'll step back from advising, ok? There are lots of peeps in Lantus to help you with it.

(((((hugs)))))
    phoebe

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Yup, confused I was. I think my brain this week is massively impaired and it isn't helped by working off of my blackberry!

9. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

LOL, Jen! I think your mis-post this morning was an omen. Her PMPS was 154. We're off to the races.....fingers crossed. SO, later tonight you can ask me how it went shooting that low(er) number! ;-) nailbite_smile

Phoebe, I'm gonna stick this one out and see where it takes us. Last night had to be a fluke. She's never peaked at +4 before. Weird! Interesting though that at +12.75 she was only at 154....time will tell. She got food throughout the day thanks to the new auto-feeder. I'll be able to monitor her closely through +5 tonight (I'm pretty sure I can hang until 1am...even with very little sleep last night), so I'll be able to catch it if we head to the south pole!! I'll keep you posted!

No Lantus yet. I emailed Stephanie again today to check on the status. If it didn't get shipped out today, it will have to wait until next week. I'm having it shipped to my office to guarantee that someone will be around to accept the package.

Cheers!!

s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.