Harley: Responding to an old(er) post....no new issue! ;-)

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sherry and Harley, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi-

Can someone take a look at my spreadsheet? I have a post running in the main board, but thought this might be a better place to post since everyone seems to be saying they can't help me (since they all use Lantus). Here's the link if you want to see it: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18880

I somewhat summarized what's been happening over the last 2-3 weeks in that post (in one of my replies). I had a bit of a scare tonight, though things seem to be sorted out now.

Basically, I increased Harley's dosage to 2U BID a few days ago based on high pre-shot numbers, in combination with her mid-cycle numbers. In retrospect, I probably should have left her at 1.5U BID, but I was concerned about all those pink (and a couple red) numbers. I'm learning...

Tonight, she dipped down to 40 at +5. I fed her at +6 and she was coming back up at +7 (I'll test again in 10 minutes for +8). I'm wondering what to do for her AM shot (I have a few hours to go). My instinct is to drop her down to 1.5 or 1.75. Can someone chime in here with some advice?

Also, I delayed yesterday morning's shot and food because she had an appointment at the vet and if they were going to test her, I wanted them to be able to test her without any confounding factors. Turns out that they didn't even do a BG, so the delay was unnecessary. I need to get her back on the regular schedule (around 8-ish AM/PM) by Tuesday, which is when I leave for work. Can I shoot 45 min earlier over the next 2 days to make that happen? All of the info is in the spreadsheet...I try to take notes about what's going on.

FYI-I just got a script for Lantus cartridges, so I will be making a change....payday is next Friday....Ugh....I'll need a whole new batch of help when I get ready to do that....sigh....

Thanks for listening!!

s

Oh...there's a little more history in my original post on this board from a few weeks ago. This all started because of 2 hypo episodes. One completely my fault, the other is a mystery. Here's my very first post from June 22: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17964

Thanks again!!

s

2. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: Humulin N help! LOW #s tonight....looking for advice.

No takers for advice, huh? Well, here's an update anyhow....just in case someone stops by...

7/3 PMPS = 301
    +5 = 67
    +6 = 40 (fed 1.5 cans FF)
    +7 = 56
    +8.5 = 54 (fed .5 can FF)
    +9 = 70 (6am...I need sleep)
    +11.5 = 247 (7/4 10:30am - give 1U)

I'm trying to get her back on an 8am/8pm schedule, so I shot 30 minutes early (which was +11.5). Based on advice from my post on the main board, I've begun a sliding scale. I noted the criteria on the spreadsheet, so please take a gander. With her 247 this AM, I gave her 1U and fed her a can of FF.

I'm looking forward to hearing from any other Humulin N users. Happy Independence Day!!

s

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,
    how are you getting on with your Lantus order?

Looks like you've done well with the sliding scale. Bear in mind how old your insulin is (can't see date anywhere. Humulin is around 28 days then starts to 'peter' out)

Renal threshold is usually around 240 max but really anywhere from 170-240 (Chriscleo commented on this if I remember right)
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_glucose_level

With the intermediste acting insulins you often have to sacrifice higher preshots to get decent nadirs without causing kitty to 'bottom out'.

The stickies in this forum are good basics to help too.
    If I remember right, Humulin is now considered the least effective insulin in cats and hence why very few users.
    Glad to see you have Phoebe helping you.

Good luck with getting Lantus-that's a whole new learning curve :mrgreen:

4. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi Kate-

Thanks for checking in. Yes, we seemed to have settled in a bit over here...well...except for a few nights ago. Not sure what was up with that...bottoming out at +3!! Anyhow, she's been hanging out in the blues for the past few rounds, and for some reason, she's keeping lower numbers later in the cycle, which is nice?

And yes, there have been a few peeps that are keeping an eye on me. Phoebe has been really helpful and it's reassuring to know that someone out there has their eyes on us.

As far as the Lantus, the girl who is sending hers to me (because her kitty passed...sadface), hasn't sent it out yet. She emailed today to say she'd send it on Monday. I will most likely wait until Thursday to start though. I'm off on Friday and would like to be around in case anything wonky happens with the change. I'm away from home 10-12 hours a day at times, and that's a recipe for disaster...at least until I get a handle on things.

Thanks for stopping by!!

s

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Great to hear.
    Yes numbers look pretty good.

As Hu,ulin 'peters' out around +10-12, you'll be good to start Lantus on the following shot.
    You can either start at 1.25u or start at 1u, whichever yur most comfortable with. Often you get an excellent initial response when starting Lantus, then as it settles in, numbers start to rise and need an increase. This is perfectly normal, so if it happens don't panic that there's something wrong.

Good luck :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.