Has anyone been on Baytril antibiotic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has had their cat on baytril? Scrabble is going to start it tomorrow for an absess he developed on his side that became infected. I have heard from others that this AB can affect his bg numbrs? Right now we are on .5 u of lantus & doing extremely well! If anyone has any tips/advice about this AB it would be appreciated!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used the oral Baytril for my Bailey and did not see any adverse effects on BGs.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I've never heard that antibiotics affect bgs; rather, I've heard that infection does.

I have however heard cautions against baytril because one side effect (and I do not know how common) MAY be blindness. You may want to ask your vet about side effects first, as well as how it is to be administered.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

We have used Baytril in the past for both our cats--similar types of infections to what you mentioned. I don't remember anything unusually bad about it. Basil was not diabetic then, though, so I can't comment about BG effects. If you do a quick Google on "Baytril glucose", you will find a hit or two.

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

We used it a couple of times. No effect on BG levels, but Gwyn *really* hated the taste ...

6. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I used it recently with Megan for a suspected UTI. (No, correct diagnostics were not done - regular vet out of town, another "working her in" when the schedule was obviously too tight already, no chance to object to what the vet-of-the-moment did.)

Anyhow, the Baytril had no ill effects. Her BG was definitely up from either the UTI or bladder irritation or else a steroid shot (another thing I had no chance to object to), but it came down while she was on the Baytril, so the antibiotic obviously wasn't the culprit.

According to the reading I did, the major thing about Baytril and vision problems is the dosage. If the dosage is OK, the chance of vision problems is small.

The vet gave us pills compounded in a beef flavor. Beef is no problem for her, fortunately. I put the pills in Pill Pockets, and she gobbled them up like treats.

7. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Winnie took it several times for UTIs and her numbers would be very erratic on the baytril -- even after the infection was under control it would take a few days after she had stopped it for the numbers to get back in line. But they would go back to where they had been.

She did not have such nice pretty curves as you have been getting w/ Scrabble , so our numbers went much higher than I would expect Scrabble's to go. Depending on how wonky they were and how long she was going to be on baytril ( usually 3-4 weeks) we would either adjust the lantus or use a bolus. I always did extra testing during the time period if I was making an adjustment, b/c yes, even though numbers would stay wonky till after she was off baytril, she would *sometimes* get a drop when they kicked in and the infection was getting much better. a very unpredictable cat, of course she had lots of extra issues too. :/

Since others on this thread have not had an issue, it appears to be one of those ECID deals ;-)
    Hopefully it won't bother Scrabble. After his infection is gone, he might just get a nice reduction !!

If the numbers do get wonky, but stay below his kidney threshold, I would be inclined to bite the bullet and not chase it w/ lantus .

8. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

We knew about the possible eye side effects of it too, but Cuddles couldn't tolerate the other antibiotics. So my vet gave me a bottle of injectable Baytril, since Cuddles was getting sub-q's for CRF. If anything, her BG was up because of an infection.. and the Baytril made her #'s go back down into her honeymoon #'s. Any reason the vet prescribed baytril, and not one of the other antibiotics?

9. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Bear Man has been on Baytril for over a year for pyelonephritis. He has always been blind, so that side effect has not been a concern for us. He takes other meds that can affect his BG's, so I can't really say if Baytril has had an impact, but I don't think it has. He did not have any other adverse reaction to the Baytril, unlike other antibiotics, which have caused severe diarrhea in him.

10. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

The vet perscribed baytril because I guess this is the best one to fight this particular bacteria. He was on clavamox but the vet said that is resistant to this particular bacteria. Still waiting to hear from vet as to whether they are going to be able to do it in liquid form or just pill. Thanks everyone for your input, it seems from what I have gathered here is that ecid and we will have to see how his numbers are affected, I am keeping my paws crossed that his numbers will stay around the same!!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.