? Has anyone ever given insulin when kitty is not eating

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Teresa & Buddy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

My cat Buddy has not had anything to eat tonight, he is sick with pancreatitis. I have given him meds for nausea, pain, he also has diarrhea, I just gave him 1/2 half of a metro. I gave him around 5 cc of Nutri-Cal, I am just really concerned about giving insulin and concerned about not giving insulin. Any suggestions.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Without having your spreadsheet up to date, it's really hard to give much in the way of meaningful advice, but if he absolutely won't eat and you aren't sure you can get food into him (by syringe feeding if necessary) then it's probably best to skip it

But you'll need to be on watch for ketones....with pancreatitis (pain) + not enough food + not enough insulin, you have the recipe for DKA going.

3. Teresa & Buddy

I did syringe some Nutri-Cal 5cc into him earlier, but I did not know if that was enough to give him insulin.

4. Chris & China (GA)

5cc's is not enough food

What dose is he on and what's his blood glucose?

Again, I can't stress enough that you need to be testing for ketones.

I'd also check him for dehydration....diarrhea can cause dehydration quickly. He probably should be seen as soon as possible

5. Teresa & Buddy

His vet is not in tomorrow, I will find someone to see him. I have checked for ketones and will continue to do so. Buddy is on Lantus and he takes 6.5 to 6.75u, his BG was 299, but he stays higher than China. I am going to bed and I will set the clock to check on him.

6. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy, just received a new pack of Lantus and started it on Saturday, I wonder if it was alright. What would insulin that had been frozen look like.

7. Chris & China (GA)

what makes you think it was frozen?

If it's clear with no floaties, it's probably fine

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  8. Teresa & Buddy

It was clear with no floaties. It was just very cold in different parts of the country while it was shipping. I tried Basaglar, used 3 pens, I put him back on Lantus On Saturday. I am going to bed, this time. I am so worried about Buddy, he is my baby.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To answer the question in your subject line, yes, many people have given insulin when a cat is not eating. Every cat undergoing anesthesia has to fast before hand for a period of time, and typically will get a half a dose. Only part of the insulin given goes to combat carbs in the food.

When my Neko lost her appetite, I would shoot knowing that I could syringe feed her, even slighly higher carb LC to keep her safe.

As Chris suggested, I suggest updating the SS, even the last couple of weeks will do.

10. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

11. Teresa & Buddy

This morning at 10:00 a.m. I was on the road taking Buddy to see a vet, his was not in today. She upped his Bupp from .02 a day to .03- 2 X a day, she also said his blood work showed that he had an infection, she thought it was a UTI, so he is taking Baytril, she changed his appetite stimulant and they gave it to him at the vet and when we got home he ate a can of FF. she said if he had not started to eat by this evening to give him 3u of insulin. He showed no sign of DAK, none, not even starting. She had some questions about his par-thyroid and said she was going to consult with an IM doc about his blood work. She also is getting in touch with Buddy's vet clinic to get a copy of his blood work so she can compare last month's blood work to today's, also she is going to get in touch with the vet who did his pancreatectomy and ask for a copy of the histopath. I really really liked her and Buddy is some better, not well, but better.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is he getting antinausea meds (cerenia or ondansetron) as well as the appy stimulant? You don't want to give an appy stim to a nauseous cat.

Glad he ate some for you.

13. Teresa & Buddy

He is taking both anti-nausea meds, I hope he eats this evening. When we came home he would have eaten more wet food, but I was afraid if he ate too much he would not eat at shot time. I still can tell he feels bad, I am so worried about him and he is such a sweetheart.