Has anyone tried adequan?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jennifer & korbel (GA), Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennifer & korbel (GA)

jennifer & korbel (GA) Member

As long as I'm here on Korbel hypo watch, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has used adequan on their furballs?
    Calypso (civvy) went to the vet yesterday for her 6mo checkup. I mentioned that she's recently stopped jumping on the bed and the vet thought arthritis (both Calypso and Korbel are ~16). The vet suggested adequan injections. So, she showed me how to give the shot and sent me home with a vial of adequan and a bunch of syringes with instructions for 1 shot a week for 3 weeks, then as needed (or about once a month).
    Has anyone ever used it and what were the results?
    Jennifer & Korbel (& civvy Calypso & droolers Bear and Guinness)

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I haven't but some friends have -- with excellent results, so I would not hesitate to use it if my kitties needed it.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There have been previous threads on the use of Adequan in felines. If I recall most caretakers were pleased by the results.

4. Jill

Jill Member

My vet recommends Adequan also, but he says to bring her in to have him do the injections, not for me to do them myself. I'm not ready to do IM shots. I've done Sub-Q and insulin, but Adequan is different.

5. jennifer & korbel (GA)

jennifer & korbel (GA) Member

Yeah, it's IM.
    My vet showed me how to do them but I did the first one with her watching me. Her only word of warning was to not go in perpendicular to the thigh muscle to avoid hitting the sciatic nerve.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Based on other discussions here, subQ injection of Adequan works fine too.

7. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

Yes, I used Adequan with Tux. I gave the shots subQ and we had very good results. I would definitely use it again if one of my cats needed it.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I gave Adequan subQ. It helped his jumping quite a bit.

9. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

I used adequan subq, as well, on Calliope. Got good results and I would definitely use it on another kitty who had arthritis issues. I think we started twice a week and then went to once a week, once every two weeks and we were to go to once a month unless needed more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.