Has anyone used Petzlife oral spray or CET chews?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and Kitty, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

http://www.petzlife.com/productsafety.html

Looking for a product to clean Kitty's teeth in delicate way, since he has resorption issues.

The Petzlife product is a spray gel -- great application method -- but the website is kind of flaky looking, and they say they used GRAIN ALCOHOL in the creation of the product! Anyone have any experience with it?

Karen mentioned CET chews. I'm wondering how "chewy" they are, since I can't use anything that would tug on the roots of the teeth. http://www.entirelypets.com/cetchfo...ne+CET+dental+chews&__utmv=-&__utmk=138620084

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I havent used the spray but the CET chews are pretty big. they are designed to scrape the tartar off the teeth. They are crunchy but not like dry food.. its like uh.. a wafer?

I am a little confused tho about needing something soft? If his roots are that weak those teeth need to come out. Remaining teeth shouldnt have FORLs that advanced. And pardon me if this has been addressed already in another post. My brain isnt what it used to be LOL.

I use the CET poultry flavor toothpaste and Oxyfresh Pet Gel with a Q tip.

3. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

the CET chews I got were odd little things - and the best way I can describe them is like dehydrated hot dogs cut into chunks. Flaky material inside some sort of casing and seemingly open on each end. the first time I got them I only had a few cats at the time, and they weren't all that interested. I got another package recently and the younger set of my crew ate them right up.

I would be leary of sprays, I mean how do you spray in a cat's mouth??

I use a cat tooth paste, and I've just started using my fingers. the tooth paste is supposed to have enzymatic action to help remove the tarter, I figured it was better I get that in there and on all the teeth, then use a tooth brush where my cats balk and I don't always get all the teeth. I just slip my finger in between their cheek and teeth. they put up with it way better then even the softest of finger tip tooth brushes I own. And since they all like the taste of the toothpaste, they put up with me.

Connie

4. Kathy and Kitty

I like the idea of using my finger with a toothpaste. Kitty is not a biting kind of guy, and if he likes the taste, he may permit it.

As for the resorption, we have other issues involved that have led us not to treat at the moment.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy - Sydney went to the dentist for her recheck today.

I asked the dentist about Petzlife - she looked it up and her comments:

1) studies were done that grapes - they don't know what part are toxic to dogs - this product has grapeseed oil in it

2) alcohol and peppermint oil - if the animal has any sores, issues in mouth, this will sting the mouth and not a good thing to use

So, she did not like the product for those factors. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

6. Kathy and Kitty

Hillary, you're a doll, thank you. That makes the decision easier, doesn't it?

CET it is. It's worth a try.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hey, I'm always thinking and since we had to go, and were doing the follow up consult and talking about dental care, why not ask about unknown products that were suggested.

Oh and she gave me a sample cet to try

And the product I'm using on Maui is Maxi Guard - oral rinse.

I'm using it like toothpaste and brushing her teeth with it.

Dentist also said that I can squirt this into the gums (front of mouth and let it do it's thing) if brushing Sydney proves to be not doable.

So , check out that product too - I've used it before, it's not expensive, needs to be fridged once opened and you know it's bad when it turns from blue to yellow or red (forget which).

Attached Files:

8. Kathy and Kitty

I tried to put a finger on Kitty's teeth today... no dice.

Just to be clear, you can squirt the Maxi Guard in the front of the mouth?

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Yes but u want to get it between gum and teeth. Not squirting down the throat

Vet suggested putting some on finger or brush and letting kitty lick it off and to give a treat reward with it. So he gets used to taste of something new. Then work up to puttoing in mouth. She said one swipe and done give treat. Then eventually more swipes until you r brushioong teeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.