Have a back-up person, just in case

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Callie & Patches, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Last July, my husband and I were in a bad auto accident and I ended up in the ER with a fractured neck(C2). I have had to ware a large neck brace ever since. I called home and talked to my granddaughter, Summer, and asked her to give Callie her insulin, after testing and feeding her. If Summer hadn't watched me do it many times, I don't know what I would have done. A few days later, when I was still in the hospital, my daughter, Sandy, called in tears, Summer wasn't home and Sandy couldn't get any blood out of Callie's ear. Callie usually got 3 u of insulin, but without testing I didn't was to risk giving her the full dose, so I told her to only give 2u instead. Once I came home from the hospital, I learned that I could test Callie's BG if someone put Callie on my lap.Now I am strong enough that I can handle it all by myself. I just want everyone to understand how important it is to have several people trained to take care of your cat.

2. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Wow! I’m glad to hear that you are recovering well. I’m sure that was a very scary time for you and your family.

Excellent point. Thank you for sharing!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh my... Glad to hear you are recovering! I'm glad you're family was able to help you take care of Callie

4. Callie & Patches

I have read posts in the past where people said that they had no one to help. That is so sad. Perhaps they could trade off with a neighbor (I'll watch your pegs if you'll watch mine) . If I didn't have my family to help, I could have called my neighbor, an old rancher.He has had to give shots to cows. My granddaughters have helped with his horses.

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

That’s all well and good if you have a good support network. I live in this country alone with no family here and a small handful of friends who are most definitely NOT animal people and would not do this. I’m on an extremely tight budget and cannot afford to hire anyone. So. No back up. I’m it. My neighbours are also non animal people. Landlord upstairs is terrified of cats. Live in Indian neighborhood and they don’t, as a rule, have pets at all.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Put together a small emergency fund.... Even if at first is just $10 per month... In case you need it to pay someone to help. Maybe over time you can befriend someone to help, maybe a teenager would be more open to helping, but if not keep building that small emergency fund just in case. Are you in the US?

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Juliet is in Canada, Janet.

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Not possible. Not at all. Not when all I have goes on the cat and I can barely afford groceries.

9. Callie & Patches

When I had to be gone for 5 days because my mom was ill, my vet boarded Callie at half price. They are really nice people. We had been taking our pets there for over30 years.
    Are there any young families that you could trade babysitting for pet sitting?

10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

@Juliet Let me guess, you live somewhere in northern Canada and work for the government. When you said "I can barely afford groceries" all the alarm bells went off. I grew up at the end of a gravel road in northern Alberta. It's too long of a ridiculous story to explain to non Canadians.
    This really strikes home with me because for years now and with two different cats I have done "The man thing" and told my wife everything was taken care of. Cynthia is neither squeamish nor stupid, she can do all this stuff but it's idiotic of me not to have her participate. I don't have to end up in the ER, just a flat tire will mess everything up. And I get the kind of migraines that make you puke and somehow manage. Listen up anyone who has done a similarly stupid thing. Life is fragile and things can change in an instant. Earlier this year we thought we were both going to a funeral and that was a nightmare. Noah is the definition of nervous and a pet sitter will not work. Our vet saved us by promising to put Noah in a double wide crate in her isolation room.
    Glad to see things got better @donnalea , hospitals are awful places for us and our kitties.

11. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry, this is a rant. If you're not an animal person (what a concept, how does that happen) you could still offer help. What is wrong with people? And terrified of cats? That's something my sister has actually taught her children! Oh they smell so bad. Yeah, and your kid's diaper smells like a garden.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  12. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes it’s a rant. Not everyone wants to be holding down a cat who a) is not friendly to strangers and would hiss and spit if a stranger tried to test him b) my friends live in a different than I do and c) why make such a judgement on a situation you obviously don’t understand. Testing and shooting is hard enough for the pet owner who loves and adores the animal. Someone who cannot stand cats - why ask them to help? Seriously??? Many cultures (including the one where most of friends belong to) do not have animals as pets.

13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Wrong on both counts. So quick to judge. Wow!

14. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry, thought I was on your side.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  15. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

and that's exactly how your posts sound to me.
    What on Earth make you think you are unique in this situation?! Do you wan some rant? Here ya go then.
    I am alone in this unfriendly country, I have no friends, none whatsoever since my husband lost his position, my family is abroad I have no money to either go and visit or to even talk at length with them.
    You have problem with a cat? Ha ha ha! If I'll be dying tomorrow my only concern is how much strain I'll put on my hubby who has to work and commute 10+ hours a day. My only option is to crawl in a ditch and die quickly, do you have any idea how that feels?Friends?! Network?! Ha ha ha! Get a grip, Juliet, there are people in direr circumstances than you are! Who told you are the only one to suffer like that? Dickson offered you a laugh and support and you sprat it back into his face - yeah, you can make friends , I can see that. No wonder no one wants to help you.
    Forgive me Dickson, you would never go on a rant like THAT, I know, it just was too much for me keep silent, sorry, please don't get cross with me. I don't care to get banned. People come here to get support or understanding in that lonely world, and then when they got it they demand it to be served their way, and no way else. Nauseating attitude.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

People are trying really hard to help, Juliet, and feel as though they're being shut down when your reply is very terse. Every single one of us here has challenges of one sort or another.

17. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

@donnalea I'm so glad you are feeling better & it's great that you had backup when you needed it :) I'm lucky because my friend lives next door & as soon as Merry arrived I showed her how to check his blood & give his insulin. I wasn't as quick to show hubby, LOL! But now he can do it as well so if either him or I are not able to for some reason, my friend next door can look after him. She has two dogs so we've always helped each other out with our animals & I know I'm lucky to have her live right next door.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  18. Noah & me (GA)

Sharon14, StephG and Kris & Teasel like this.
  19. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

It's that old thing the written word. So easy to misunderstand the intent behind the words when you cannot see facial expressions and body language.
    Both you guys @Juliet @Noah & me are on the exact same page here so please don't be tough with each other. We're all in this together after all.
    FWIW I didn't see judgement. I saw empathy . Thing is , when everything is a stressed around the edges it makes everything seem sharp , even when it isn't.
    I agree that having a back up person/plan is a great idea ... if that is possible. A lot depends on your network and your finances.

I posed this to the Mister last evening. My husband and I can think of no-one that could 'do' for Tyler in the event of us both being out of action for a while. No-one but the vet practice. We have no family here. Our neighbours are lovely but are dog people . They would & have in the past come to feed Tyler and Dusty but they are somewhat nervous of the cats so the idea they would inject Tyler makes me smile . I'm nervous of dogs so the idea of ministering to their golden retriever would be daunting in case he woofed and bounced around - but I would do it if push came to shove. Difference being their dog likes us. Tyler pusscat is not so keen on them.

We have some good friends about 40/60 minutes drive away . They are not pet type people but they are the type that could possibly see to Tyler if needs be. Thing is they are very busy people and a two hour round trip twice a day which is outside of their daily routes would likely not be feasible.
    I already spoke with a couple of pet sitters and neither lot would to administer to a diabetic cat.

We operate on a tight budget here. New Zealand is an expensive place to live these years. We are older and have savings so can afford the huge vet bills and meds at the moment but it is eating our budget so we will have to look for ways to prune other outgoings somehow.

Anyways. Peace out guys. Pretty please.

20. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Just responding to what was thrown at me on this post. No understanding whatsoever. I found it hurtful. Yes, the written word can be taken the wrong way as we see. @PussCatPrince had a much more empathic response to the rant I got.

21. PussCatPrince - GA

Hey there. I read it that Noah was ranting with you about the unhelpful neighbours & other things.

As I said. When we are feeling poops it can all seem very hard , which it is.
    You have a hug for feeling rotten right now & then you hug Noah who was trying to hug you. Otherwise I shall look like my avatar which given the husband just fell out of a tree onto his face ,when I told him to be careful is probably how I should be feeling, except I gotta go test Tyler. Wah!

Juliet likes this.
  22. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I apologise @Noah & me if I misunderstood you. It felt directed at me and my non-animal-loving friends.

23. Noah & me (GA)

It's late here but I'll give this a shot. These are the assumptions I made:
    That you lived in Canada, rightly or wrongly, because another member said so. I live in Canada, it's nice but I miss the mountains.
    Groceries are expensive everywhere, and for all of us, but much more so in Northern communities.
    It's in these same Northern communities that you're more likely to live in a Native community.
    Many Northern Native communities are subsidized by money and low paid government staff (who aren't used to paying $12 for a gallon of milk) like teachers and health care providers.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with living in Northern Canada or being a government employee, that was a guess on my part but NOT a judgement. "So quick to judge. Wow!" I did not deserve that.
    In your first two posts you never mentioned your cat was "not friendly to strangers and would hiss and spit if a stranger tried to test him" so I assumed he was like our sugar cats. Thump the table or basket and here they come.
    You replied "Testing and shooting is hard enough for the pet owner who loves and adores the animal". Sorry, it's not that hard.
    I do however have an irrational spring up my behind about people that cannot stand cats, not just dislike, cannot stand!
    You said you had "a small handful of friends who are most definitely NOT animal people and would not do this."
    You're correct, I "obviously don’t understand" why your friends would not help you out.
    I've been through the same grind as you, I have a ton more serious problems and I've been doing it a lot longer.
    Sorry, that's as nice as I'm going to get.

Kris & Teasel and StephG like this.
  24. Callie & Patches

If someone I know wouldn't help out in a real emergency, they certainly are not a friend. A real friend would set aside their dislikes and help out. They certainly wouldn't let an animal die. If I didn't have friends, family or neighbors to call on, I would call my coworkers or my Church. I would go into debt before I would let any of my pets die. I was scared and in a lot of pain. I was told I might be paralyzed, yet I called home from the ER to make sure someone would take care of all of our 7 cats and 2 dogs. I had no way of knowing how long my husband and I would be in the hospital, so I did make that call.

25. Noah & me (GA)

It's important and sometimes painful to reexamine a friendship and have to pull the plug, finding out someone is not who you thought they were. I had a friend who turned out to be a racist, somehow the subject had just never came up before, and he and his wife still can't figure out what I'm so upset about. I have lots of pals and buddies but "friend" has to mean something. One of those things is "Yes Donna, tell me what I can do". There won't be any guilt and one thank you is enough. People just don't give a rat's patootie any more, very disappointing.

26. Callie & Patches

I think it depends on how people are raised. If your family and culture is loving and friendly, you will grow up that way. Our home was always full of strays. Kids and critters of all kinds. I passed that on to my kids and grandkids. We were raised to help others. Ours was the house that all the kids came to after school.

When we moved out in the country with two granddaughters, we had good neighbors. My girls walked the quarter mile to the newspaper tubes and dropped off the neighbors paper. They taught my girls to ride horses and make quilts. The girls helped with the horses and pets. When a creek overflowed its bank and started to flood the house across the street, the girls helped with sandbags while I moved their horses to another pasture down the road. When I had a knee replacement surgery, people brought over food. That's what people do. I wouldn't want to live in a world where people turned their back on people (and animals) in need.

27. Noah & me (GA)

That sounds like 100 years ago now. In 1972 at the age of 14 I took a train across Canada all by myself. Now they'd throw your parents in jail for that.
    I once rented a little house on a tree farm and was having the absolute worst Christmas ever when there was a knock at the door. The neighbors had sent over a complete dinner with the best stuffing I've ever tasted. I'll remember that forever.

28. Callie & Patches

Good neighbors are a special gift from God. It sounds like a good Christmas after all.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  29. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Back to Donna's original point, which sounded to me like "plan ahead a little bit in case of emergency". One instant, everything is fine, the next a raging wildfire is bearing down on your home or you are in a car accident and in the hospital for who knows how long.

What is your plan? Who you gonna call? There are plenty of us that 'go it alone' when taking care of pets. For whatever reason, no family or friends close enough to help. Or friends are older and have their own health problems and need assistance just to get around and take care of their own daily activities. Or we are dealing with health issues or other life responsibilities.

Hoping this thread helps people to stop for a minute and think about what they would do in an emergency, with either themselves or their pets. Doesn't have to be convoluted, but might take some thought to find solutions that will work for you. Solutions and ideas are what we are here for folks.

30. Noah & me (GA)

Thank you Deb. This is twice now that we have been gifted a sugar cat that somehow knows we're not doing this to hurt him. Next week I'm going to get Cynthia more involved so that she never has to take Noah in a taxi anywhere. I've made too many jokes about doing "the guy thing" by doing it myself but it's not a joke and it's unfair to Noah and Cynthia. And you're right, it doesn't have to be convoluted. A basic chart on the side of the fridge, meter says this = units of insulin, better too high than too low, feed him this etc. I hope your kitchen is feeling better.

31. PussCatPrince - GA

Absolutely.
    Let's pool our thoughts & think outside the box as to what might be possible somehow to put in place.
    Help each other and everyone no matter what.

It isn't just sudden ill health that throws us off kilter. It is natural disasters. It made me think what about Ty in the event of a bad quake and we get plenty of quakes.

Can I just add here though that not all cats are easy or obliging with testing. Testing Tyler who loves me as dearly as I love him is actually hard. He doesn't like it. He isn't about to easily allow any stranger to do that to him. Even the vet takes a care.

It has given me pause for thought though. If we are incapacitated for some reason then who sees to Tyler & his special needs.

May also help to remember that we don't all walk in each other's shoes . Nor have each others lives.
    A little understanding can go a long way. Especially if those without a network of support , family , friends for whatever reason feel vulnerable & alone.
    Reach out. Don't hit out. Nor judge. The circumstances people can find themselves in does not necessarily reflect their upbringing or values.

32. Noah & me (GA)

@PussCatPrince I should have said this earlier. Your efforts to restore a bit of sanity did not go unnoticed, I get lost in my own little world sometimes. Remember kids, always wear a helmet! :blackeye:
    Hey, who wants to talk about neurology? It's fun! :banghead:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  33. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Very kind comment. Appreciated.

34. Noah & me (GA)

We all want the same thing in the end. @Juliet , turns out you live just down the 401 from us (Brampton?). Milton has 2 great vets if you ever end up here but of course the closer you get to Toronto the more everything costs. We picked this place because it's the last stop on the GO train. It's not what we thought, dead trees and neighbors you'll never know.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  35. Callie & Patches

PussCatPrince mentioned natural disasters. Here in CA we had have a lot of huge fires this year. We are also in the path of flooding if something were to happen to Shasta dam. Last Spring I picked up a large dog crate. I had one left over from my mom's. If we ever had to evacuate, we would have two crates large enough to hold litter boxes. We have two carriers that are smaller. My vet once commented that in an emergency, you could always put a cat in a pillowcase and tie off the open end. Cats panic in scary situations. You don't want your cat jumping out of your arms and running away. I keep spare litter boxs, litter, cat and dog food, food and water bowls, a gallon of water, and baby blankets for bedding. If we ever have to evacuate, I will have to add Callie's insulin. It all fits in the large crate in the garage.

In an evacuation, people think about TV, computers and other valuables. You can buy stuff, our family and pets are irreplaceable.

36. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

sitting on the prepacked evacuation bags at the moment...on Friday sheriff's send a text of possible evacuation..no one to call for help whatsoever but hubby and I have a good plan, packed what we need for a few days and can leave in 15 min (touching the wood we won't need to).
    :rolleyes: it's true and it is nuts. The first thing I prepared is all for Ducia - "her" backpack is by the fridge so I can grab the insulin out in a moment and run. In case they knock on the door at night a written down plan in red sharpie is pinned on the wall listing things that are yet to be grabbed - I don't think well when woken suddenly so no chances here. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  37. Noah & me (GA)

Those damn fires are on the news here every night and we're 5,000 miles away. That's a good point about panic, you can also wrap them in a big towel and cover their eyes. Some will howl and protest but hold on tight. I find cradling a cat in one arm, holding their back legs together and scruffing with the other is inescapable for them and scruffing produces a natural instinct in a cat to in general stop resisting. Living in a high rise was our nightmare.

38. Noah & me (GA)

That's a thread that comes up every 4 to 6 months and it's always valid. "What's in your go-bag?" So many little things to think of.
    On the way to emergency once I had to stop the stupid car and buy windshield washer fluid. I would have killed all of us going onto the highway otherwise.

39. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

Thank god for my 2 oldest daughter's (21 & 19)who helped me out when I went on my very 1st vacation ever back to Oregon. I'm from Oregon moved to MN in 2002. We went back for my husband's son's 21st birthday. My youngest daughter is 16 she could do it in an emergency situation but not long term. I would count on my oldest 2.

40. Callie & Patches

We keep extra supplies next to our camping gear. We never let the car or pick-up gas tanks get below half full. We have lots of bottled water because we live with a well. If the power goes out, we have no water. Being that we live out in the boonies, we keep about a month's worth of food because the road into town has been flooded in the past. Since my hubby and I are both elderly, sometimes we just don't feel like driving the twenty miles to shop. When the power goes out, everyone checks to make sure all the families on our little road are ok. Out of the five families on our road, we have one RN and five veterans. Almost everyone knows first aid. Two are retired ranchers who know a lot about caring for sick or injured animals. If we have to evacuate, we will go as a convey.

When we see reports on TV, we see how ill prepared people are. They live such busy lives, they don't take the time to think about whats really important.

41. PussCatPrince - GA

The reports on the fires is harrowing. I hope that you are spared evacuation somehow. Portugal had a terrible time with this over their last summer. People I know lost their house , community & people.
    Our next door neighbour - dog person - is a forestry manager here and his kit is packed ready to get out to California .He's on standby. Husband is volunteer Civil Defence Search and Rescue & the senior members of the teams will also be on standby. The roles are to give relief to your own folks on the ground so they can somehow gain some rest.

On the back of this topic about back up people and plans I am thinking quite hard about who would be willing and also able to give Ty his insulin if the need arose.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  42. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Fingers crossed you all stay safe from the fires! It sounds like you have a good plan in place and are ready to go if needed. Those fires scare me! I can’t even imagine.

43. Callie & Patches

We are lucky to not be where the fires are. The currant fires are in Southern California. We live in Northern California. There were bad fires up north earlier this year, but not closer than 75 miles. We have more problems with flooding here. We have a creek going through our front yard. We really love all the wildlife.

Noah & me (GA) and nmveasey like this.
  44. Noah & me (GA)

It doesn't help right now but... I have taken a few building code and some minor civil engineering courses. My parents once lived in an "architecturally controlled" neighborhood and they had to have a cedar shingle roof. That's just asking for a house to burn down. In parts of Australia you're required to have a sprinkler system on your roof that can be remotely activated by the fire department. We all pay for this in the end in insurance.
    What did Donald say about Puerto Rico? "An island surrounded by water (that is what an island is right?), BIG ocean water!" That's not helping anyone. Imagine watching your insulin sitting out in the sun for weeks.

45. Callie & Patches

We have a Colman cooler that plugs into the car that my step dad used to keep his insulin cold on vacations. I don't know how long it would last. I guess someone could build an old fashioned cooler using evaporation. Sort of like a swamp cooler that they use in the desert. They would need a breeze to make it work.

46. Noah & me (GA)

I have a little confession to make about something in this thread that bothers me. I have Trigeminal neuralgia AND horrible migraines AND cluster headaches AND Tinnitus. Now comes MRI #5 for something new (my doctor got pale when I told her) and I'm just dreading going to the neurological circus again. What I said earlier about getting Cynthia involved is going to be a necessity. I've had to shoot Noah an hour early because I'm getting a screamer or 2 hours late because I can finally turn the lights on. So now you all know I'm not the best cat daddy. Noah literally could not live anywhere else but here with us and incredibly enough he can be stable for months at a time. Someone must be watching over us.

nmveasey and Kris & Teasel like this.
  47. Callie & Patches

I am so sorry you are going through this. Being sick has nothing to do how good a pet parent you are. What is important is that you love Noah and I'm sure he loves you also, Including Cynthia in Noah's care is the most loving thing you can do.

I pray that you get better soon.

Noah & me (GA) and Kris & Teasel like this.
  48. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Dickson, I feel for you. Lots of us dealing with chronic health issues and new ones creep up all the time. Hope your 'issue #5' turns out to be nothing serious. Can't even imagine how the migranes make the TN flare and vice versa.

Health issues are only one of the reasons why I thought this original post was a good one, to get people thinking about what they would do in an emergency, is there someone else to help with pets, evacuation needs, etc. Planning and prep can help immensely.

I live in the evacuation zone of a nuclear power plant. I have some things always packed in the car, and other 'go bags' ready to grab by my mudroom door at a moments notice. I've thought about what if you only have 1-2 minutes to get out of the house if there is a fire? What if there is brush fire/hurricane/nor'easter bearing down on you? A bit of prep ahead of time can come in mighty handy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Reason for edit: spelling
    Noah & me (GA) and Kris & Teasel like this.
  49. Noah & me (GA)

@Juliet Well now I've got both feet in my mouth, I could have sworn I saw that in an earlier post. The offer still holds if you need to know the best and very worst vets out here. My friends vet insisted that her diabetic dog pee on a strip of test paper, never use a meter. He is in the worst category. There's an emergency clinic here that does external fixators for orthopedic fractures and has an MRI. They've got lots of neat equipment but that was 4 mortgage payments down the toilet!
    @donnalea @Deb & Wink Sorry for the drama. It's not so much boo-hoo me as my frustration with the system here. You'd think once you're in a neurologists office now you'll get answers. Nope. In every situation there's always someone that finished at the bottom of the class. When I had a stroke I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and sent home. Golly, thanks doc! Sometimes they think you're shopping for drugs. Uh huh, 60 years old, white hair.

50. Noah & me (GA)

51. Kris & Teasel

52. Noah & me (GA)

Nope, still there about 20 posts up.

53. Kris & Teasel

Weird - I can't find it. What exact post number is it?

54. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry Kris, I thought you meant the post that uhm, you know.... :blackeye: :(

55. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

We all have times when we feel as though we have failed our pets. I have had pets my entire life and have made mistakes with all of them. But every one of those animals was given the best life possible and taken care of to the best of my ability. I believe you do that with all your fur babies. There is no denying your love and passion for them.

You are in no way a bad pet parent because life happens or gets in the way. I do my best to keep Monster on a 12 hour schedule, but it doesn’t happen. It is what it is and I do the best I can. That’s all you can do too...the best you can.

It can be hard to allow your spouse to help because it requires you to not be in control all the time. I rely on my husband to help me with the pets and farm chores when I’m away. He does the best he can and that’s all I ask. Does he do everything I would do with the chores? No. But all pets and animals are fed, medicated if needed, and alive when I get home. Well, except once but that wasn’t his fault.

I hope you get some answers quickly from the doctors. I also hope you can get some relief from your other health issues. Don’t beat yourself up, Dickson. Just do the best you can! :bighug:

56. Noah & me (GA)

@Tracey&Jones Hey look over here Tracey. Go up, and a little more, just a few more.
    Moo!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.