Have I dosed too low?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PatJ, Dec 5, 2018.

1. PatJ

PatJ Member

Hope someone can help me. I'm really worried about dosing my cat too low, but was afraid to give him 2 1/2 units because at pre-shot time his BG levels were 13.6mmol/l, which is low for him, normally he is anything between 18.0 and 23.0. So I just gave him 1 1/2 units. Is this likely to do him harm and should I have just carried on with his normal 2 I/2 units? I was just so frightened of overdosing him. Is under dosing him just as bad? I'd be so grateful if one of you experienced people out there could tell me what you think. Thanks so much.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you test again at +2 to see where he's heading at this dose. He will probably be OK with that reduction. It's hard to give definitive advice without a spreadsheet of data to look at. That's why we recommend setting one up. It's important to see BG numbers in context and be able to look at past patterns.

3. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thanks for replying so quickly. In fact, I was sent a spreadsheet from Chris and China the other day, filled it in for the whole month of November, and because I'm such rubbish with technology, promptly mucked the whole thing up because I didn't know how to send the link to the signature page and today Chris sent me a new spreadsheet, which I can't do yet, because there is an error on the spreadsheet link or something like that. I'm desperate to get it seen by someone because I want to know if my vet is right to want to keep increasing the dose. I've just tested him and he's up to 19.5, but he has had a bit to eat since 2 hours ago. Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Do let us know when you get the SS working. We'll be more than happy to take a look and see what we can do to help.

5. PatJ

PatJ Member

@Chris&China. I hope I'm not driving you up the wall with all these cries for help over a spreadsheet. Sorry to keep bending your ear. Thanks very much for sending me a new spreadsheet. I've tried again this morning and yesterday to insert the link for it and the highlighters at the top have turned light blue but the link hasn't appeared in my signature box. I don't know, if I'm honest, what 'pasting' means or even how to do it. I've just typed in the link and pressed 'insert' but it doesn't go to my signature page. Would you mind very much if I asked you how to send a link and paste it? Thanks again

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

See if this helps with getting the link into your signature:

7. PatJ

PatJ Member

Djamila, That video link you sent me would have been perfect except that , I think it's because I've got a COPY of his spreadsheet that the top of the page doesn't contain that line of information where you click on 'Control C' which you need for the URL, but thank you so much for sending it. I don't use computers so it's complete Greek to me at the moment. There's a box that says 'Insert' directly above the spreadsheet so maybe that will do it - or lose it! By the way, I think your cat is a cutie-pie. I used to have a Sam that loved sleeping in the sink! Many thanks for the link.

8. PatJ

PatJ Member

911 ASAP my cat's BG was 15.0 I 1/2 hours ago and just tested him and it's 1.1 mmol/: have rubbed honey on his gums and fed him hig?anything else I should doher carb cat food seems all right at the moment

9. PatJ

PatJ Member

sorry that post was rubbish - wasn't looking seems all right at the moment rubbed honey on his gums and fed him higher carb cat food anything else I should do how often should I feed him don't want to make him sick thanks for any advice

10. Kris & Teasel

Did you do an immediate recheck? What dose did you give? Could you have accidentally drawn up a larger dose. It's extremely unusual for BG to drop that far that fast!

SpotsMom likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Some begging from us - please get a spreadsheet set up ASAP.

12. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Did you test him again to make sure it was a good test? Anytime you get a reading that doesn't look right, immediately test again to make sure. If it is right, please post this in a new post and use the drop down next to the title to label it as 911.

13. PatJ

PatJ Member

I haven't dosed him yet he's not due for 2 hours but I just tested him before I gave him some food and it was 1.1 mmom/l I gave him a low dose last night of 1 1/2 but this morning was back to just under 2 1/2 he' beof en fine all day but now I don't know what to do about dosing tonight. Obviously .not if he's low. If I keep giving him honey should he be all right?

14. PatJ

PatJ Member

Don't believe this - just tested him twice. first reading was 17.3 and the second a minute later was 16.6mmol sorry for the delay in replying. Should I dose him tonight I think this is my fault because I dosed him too low last night

15. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Those 2 numbers are within the acceptable 20% variance. How much honey did you give him? Hold off on giving him anymore since his numbers are high now and see where he ends up in 2 hours. That would be a fast rise from 1.1 so I'm thinking the 1.1 was probably a false number... (unless you tested again and verified it at the time of the initial reading?)

16. PatJ

PatJ Member

No I didn't test it again when it was 1.1. I wish I had, but I was so panicky I just rushed for the honey and cat food and then called on you lovely people for help. Thanks a million for replying. I know virtually nothing about this horrible illness and I make it worse when I'm frightened of overdosing him if his BG levels go lower than normal. It's a new meter so perhaps that's why, but it's only a

17. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thank you all for all your help with the hypo scare.I think you are all amazing and so kind. It's just such a relief to know that there are people like you out there who genuinely care what happens to our cats. Not only that,but you know what you are talking about. I have tried and tried tonight since about 9.00 and it's now just gone midnight, to set up a spreadsheet for my boy, like you have asked me, followed the instructions to the letter,but every time I get to the bit about publish this section it won't scroll down and I can't get any further. Won't give up till I do it but it might take a while, so please don't think I'm not bothering.