Having a hard time comprehending my cats GB pattern

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AngelaMiao, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Hello!

My cat has been on Lantus just over a week. Originally he was getting 0.75 BID but I moved down to 0.5 because he seemed to be bouncing a lot and going from a new low to a new high.

I'm trying to figure out if his dose is okay or if I should have stayed on 0.75 (or should go lower than the current 0.50). I did a curve yesterday and it was pretty flat the whole 12hrs with no particular Nadir, but his PMPS was much lower than his AMPS and seemed more in tune with the readings I got between the AM dose and the PMPS.

This morning however, he woke up begging for food, had eaten everything I left overnight and drank all the water (usually doesn't drink water unless his numbers are high since I add water to his wet food, so I knew something was up) and when I checked his BG, it was at 445!

Here's his chart!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11_mM3cxitd-z0DGXA1nKTfz7zuopQ6vV/view?usp=drivesdk

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to go post on the Lantus forum for help. There's a very high level of expertise there. Have a look at the yellow info stickies at the top of that forum's page to learn more about dosing methods.

Congratulations on testing at home and setting up a spreadsheet. The low BG range on your is different from the spreadsheet template we use here - not sure what that's about. :)

3. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Thanks Kris!

I got the spreadsheet from the Feline Diabetic Support group on Facebook.

I can change the number from 40 to 50. The formula makes any number under 100 turn green anyway lol. Its weird because that group refers to this forum as their basis, but they don't treat 40-49 as emergency numbers unless out of the ordinary for a cat on insulin. My non diabetic cat is usually around 45-55 so maybe it can be normal?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Non-diabetics will often run low but their body can control the amount of insulin as needed and it's likely the other processes involved in BG regulation work better than in a diabetic. Any BG in the 40 to 49 range is too low by our standards here whether you use a human meter or a pet meter. The "take action" numbers we go by here are 50 on a human meter and 68 on a pet meter (they read higher overall). Take action doesn't mean a hypo is occurring but it does mean BG is getting too low and should be propped up with a snack of higher carb food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.