having a meltdown

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Carol & Murphy (GA), Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Sharon, I would post with a question when you need advice. So many of them post daily with their numbers; they really aren't looking for help. If you put Advice Needed in your subject line, you are more likely to catch someone's attention.

That forum is for both Lantus and Levemir users so yes, it is very large. Both are depot insulins so they can overlap. You do need to dose them pretty much on a 12 hour schedule. ProZinc is an in and out insulin and more flexible in schedule. With the L insulins, the dose is based on the nadir. With ProZinc, you look at the nadir and the pre shot number. The L insulins have a protocol - if you get thIs number, you give this. That makes it easier for some people to figure out dosing.

Sharon14 likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Depot insulins have dose overlap which non-depot insulins seldom have. Because of this, you move slowly when you increase doses because effects from prior shots may continue to happen. Think of it as like steering an ocean liner - you turn the wheel and 8 hours later you're going in a different direction.

Also, if you shoot sooner, there is more overlap, so it acts like a dose increase. likewise, if you shoot later, it acts like a dose decrease because there is less overlap.

Sharon14 likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

To all the mousers out there...I have a question. Do your kitties eat the mouse whole? When I lived in the midwest; our barn cats would eat the mice whole and would throw it up too. Currently, I work at a raptor rescue, rehab and release center. After the raptors eat their mouse, they spit out a pellet-like that contains the bones and hair, etc. It just occurred to me that the cat throwing up the mouse is there way to eliminate the bones, hair, etc. too. Just wondering...

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Cindi, what an interesting job! Most of my cats that catch mice don't kill them, just play, but the ones that do eat them always throw up mouse parts. I learned a long time ago never to let them inside if they've been hunting!

5. Lynn & Rupert

Lynn & Rupert Well-Known Member

Thanks for not minding us high jacking your post Carol, guess one thing led to another...:rolleyes: So happy you are over the melt down, been there...done that (more than once)! I shoot between the shoulder blades and to the side of them, with the new shorter needles, it is easier, I don't need as much "tent". I just move around between that area. I don't think I could shoot on the leg or side, too worried I would hurt him. I really am having less trouble after clipping Rupert, he looks a little funny, but he doesn't seem to care! :cat: I feel for you Sharon, must be frustrating to ask questions and not have a response. I am sure they do their best, but guess it is so busy, it is difficult to answer all. Come visit anytime, we can't advise you, but we sure can offer a hug and some support! :bighug:

Sharon14 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What a interesting job working with raptors. I just saw Bubba eat one whole the day before yesterday. I spied him outside with it in his mouth and before I could get to him, gulp. And it was the early wee hours of yesterday that he threw it up,mostly a big pile of black hair. ( think he's eating voles too) So interesting, I never thought of it in that way of eliminating the hair and such And, he didn't seem to make his AMPS go up like it does when he hacks up his own hair.

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I will be joining the Lantus group over the weekend. I see their posts. I don't know how people keep up their threads. I have enough trouble keeping up with Smokey as it is. I will followed the Smokey protocol. Let him determine how we go. I don't want to start fast nor slow. The vet mentioned starting at 1u but I'm afraid he will stay high to long. But starting at current dose could drop to fast. I'm thinking 2u to start. And I like to use same dose for few days to see if he will settle down before changing. Will talk with Vet tomorrow when we go in for visit. I'm going to have lab work done to make sure everything else is still normal. Want to make sure his erratic numbers are not damaging his kidneys. It's going to be a fun 4 day weekend.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Good luck Paula with the switch. I can imagine learning a new insulin is a bit scary but I am sure you will catch on quickly. Keep us posted; Fingers and Paws crossed.

9. Olive & Paula

Thanks. You might see a lot of 911 posts!! At least one thing I finally conquered- finding the sweet spot of his ear. So I won't be messing up his ears to much. I think the vet is going to comment on the condition of his right ear. It's been the only one I could get blood from up to now. That's why I haven't been doing to many checks, it's a mess. The Neosporin with pain relief has helped.

10. Olive & Paula

Which clippers do you use? I have Wahl with the adjustable blade. They are so quiet. I catch my hubby using it for himself sometimes.

Lynn & Rupert likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

I understand, Bubba will only let me draws from his left ear, so it is a bit red too. It makes me feel better to put the Neosporin on so it won't get infected.

12. Sharon14

Paula, My vet wanted me to start at a lower dose too, but everyone on the L&LL forum said to keep the same dosage as I was on with the ProZinc.(not sure if that holds true for Vetsulin) I was also told to hold the dose for a week, run a curve, then decide dose. I like your idea of the Smokey protocol. I guess I'll follow the Colin protocol!

13. Sharon14

Mine are Wahl rechargeable. I use them on my horses ears because they are small and quiet. I turned them on today while Colin was eating, he got wide eyed and I wasn't even near him. Not sure if it's going to work, but I'll give it a shot.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Olive & Paula

I think ProZinc is different. When I asked the lantus forum some suggested 1.5-2u. I've been reading up on Lantus. The manufacturer states if switching insulin start at 20% less of current dose which has been 2.75u. That makes it around 2.5u. I'll compromise with Vet and go 2u. I'm trying to get as much info before the switch. I want to know what I'm in for. You know the saying-sometimes too much information..............

Sharon14 likes this.
  15. Olive & Paula

Smokey doesn't mind it. My mother use to shave him down routinely. Her clippers were so noisy. I got the Wahl rechargeable. Regarding my kitten, when he is on my lap I turn the clippers on when I pet him which he loves. He is a lover. This way he will get use to the buzz. It's been helping. He doesn't run from it. But once we hold him to shave his back end he starts to squirm.

16. Sharon14

I was just running the clippers next to Colin while he had his post test snack. Then I turned them off, let him sniff and rub them all over his body. Then turn on agin. This is kind of the method I use to teach the horses, desensitizing them. Hope it works. Smart of you to start early with your kitten! On the dosage, I compromised too. Vet said 3u, L&LL said 5, I went with 4. Don't want to alienate the vet, may need him!

17. Sharon14

Carol, how is Murphy today? Is he back to eating normal? Was curious if you've had a chance to try the Tiki Cat chicken puréed.

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

@Sharon14 Hi Sharon - happy to report Murphy is eating normally - I'm trying to wean him off the Purina DM and back onto Royal Canin Glycobalance and the Young Again. He's back to being hungry constantly - and I think I don't feed him the same amount of calories every day. Trying to give him a few (3-4) Young Again kibbles as treats. Will go slow with YA this time, as it does seem to affect his stools. Glad you are getting Colin used to the clipper - how long do you anticipate the actual clipping process will take (1 minute, 5 minutes)?
    Being a city girl, I am in awe of the posts about the cats eating and vomiting up mice - wonder how many calories are in a mouse?

19. Sharon14

Glad Murphy's doing better with his eating. I guess you need to move slow with his sensitive tummy. I wonder if you weigh his food, would that help you be more consistent in his calorie intake? As for clipping Colin, I hope it won't take too long. I'm going to take the clippers to the barn in a bit and try them on a horse to make sure the blades are sharp. If they're not, it'll pull on his hair instead of cutting it. If they're sharp, I'll attempt clipping this evening, if not I'll have to get the blades sharpened. Yes country cats lead a different life than city cats. Just like us. The worst is bunny season. Fortunately I've been able to save most of the bunnies, the mice I don't try to save.

20. Bobbie And Bubba

Glad Murphy is eating Carol! The Young Again can cause loose stools for 3-4 days, then it should stop. Good question about how many calories in a mouse ; I have wondered too and can't find answer.

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.