Having trouble testing glucose levels

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frances Ann Zannoni, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Frances Ann Zannoni

Frances Ann Zannoni New Member

Good morning, I'm new to this site, but after reading many of the posts I decided to sign up. I have a wonderful 14 year old cat named Rufus. He has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. His keytone levels are consistantly in the 2000 levels. I brought his insulin shots all the way to 8 units, going half of a unit at a time, at that point his keytone levels dropped to the negative. My vet said to give him 4 units of insulin. I did this and his keytones went back to the 2000 level. I would love to test his blood, and that is really why I am writing this post. I've got the testing meter and strips, but I can not get blood from his ears no matter what I do. It's terrible. I end up stabbing his beautiful little ears like 10 times and they become all bruised. I think this also stresses him out which raises his glucose level. Is there a better way to do this? I am desperate.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

3. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi. In addition to the link Kris sent, there's some good advice about testing here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/i-am-back-need-answers.209008/#post-2315422

I can personally attest to the helpfulness of the rice sock! We use a baby sock, filled with ordinary uncooked rice so that it's a little smaller than a golf ball. We put it in the microwave for about 25 seconds and wrap her ear around it, rubbing the edge where the "sweet spot" is against the warm sock until it starts feeling warm to my fingers. Poking on the very outer edge of the ear helps, too.

I know it's nerve wracking at the beginning, but it truly does get easier for both of you quite soon . . . especially if there's a special treat involved for Rufus that he can get before and after the test, even if the test fails. Josie actually bit me a little :eek: the second day we were testing . . . but true story: the other day, it was time for her test and I couldn't find her . . . Turns out she was already in her testing place, lying on her towel, waiting for me to stick her ear (and for the treat, of course). :)