Heading to Walmart in a few minutes HELP me with list!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

OK I am heading to Walmart in 15 minutes to get the reli-on kit, does it come with lancets and if not which should I buy?
    Also is there anything else I will need just to test his blood tonight?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have the ReliOn Ultima and it came with 10 lancets and lancet pen. Test strips do not come with the meter. Some meters come with test strips but if that were the case they only com with about 10 strips. Thus, you need more lancets and test strips.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Not blood testing, but do you have the regeant's strips to test urine for ketones? Ketostix (ketones only) or Keto-diastic (ketones and sugar).

4. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I have some that I use to use for myself but they are old. Do they have a long shelf life? I can't for the life of me figure out how I am going to get a urine sample?

5. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I don't recall the shelf life of unopened ketostix. Once they are opened, they are good for only a few months (3? 6?). The bottle makes that extremely clear. It even gives you a blank to write in the date you opened the bottle, or the date that is the relevant number of months from the date you opened the bottle.

Ketostix or Ketodiastiks are very inexpensive - like $12 or so for 50. If you think the ones you have might be too old, I'd buy new ones.

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

If ur going with Relion, make sure u get the right strips to match the meter
    Relion Ultima and Relion Micro take their own strips.

Lancets can be bought separately too, usually very inexpensive.

Thats about right - - usually 3 months, for the ketostix. Mark the date u opened it on the bottle as a reminder.

7. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

You may want to make a rice sock to warm his ear. Use about 1/2 - 1 cup of regular rice in a cotton sock. I just tied the top of the sock and folded the excess back over. So, you might want to add rice to the list. You will also want something to put under the ear. I just use a folded paper towel, but some use cotton pads. Some people also put a dab of neosporin on the ear to help with healing/prevent infection. I have never used it. Oh, and you might want a sharps container to dispose of the lancets and syringes. They are pretty cheap. A 2 liter drink bottle also works well. I use a sharps container and take to my vet when full.

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Neosporin! yes!! Cant forget the neo! Kitty ears will thank u for it.

U guys in the U.S have to pay for ur disposal bucket?
    Mine is free here at the local drug chain. And they dispose of it for u.

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

We just had the free container/disposal law go into effect in CA too. The vet can no longer take them, but any drugstore will and give free container.

10. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

the joys of getting fresh pee...

some keep a ladle or long handled spoon near the litter box. When kitty goes in to pee, casually walk over there and insert spoon in appropriate place to catch some pee.

Or wait and dunk strip before pee is all absorbed into the litter. for this method -- test the litter first with some water to make sure you don't get a false positive reading from the litter.

there is a special litter box available that catches urine in a pan underneath (non-absorbing "litter").

11. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I can tell that a lot of this is going to be hit or miss with me. Since I have 4 indoor male cats and their box is in a spot in the back of the sunroom behind a fence it will be a rare day that I make a hail mary catch of cat urine! :lol: and if I accidentally get lucky I hope it's the right cat!

Let's just hope old Harley is able to survive my learning curve. nailbite_smile

12. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Once the vial of keto-Diastix is opened, they should be used within 6 months...get new ones if they
    have been opened for 6 months.

If they are un-opened....check the expiration date on the vial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.