healing of stomatitis after extractions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathie, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathie

Kathie Member

How long after extractions should healing of stomatitis occur? My cat Mr. "B" had extractions last Wednesday and seemed better, but now seems worse again. Is this normal? :YMSIGH:
    :

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Was he given an antibiotic after the extractions? You could be seeing a different type of inflammation now.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What makes think he was better but now seems worse (i.e., what symptoms are you going by)?

4. Kathie

Kathie Member

He's on 1 ml of Lincocin twice a day.

5. Kathie

Kathie Member

Thursday night he was eating better than he is now. He seems to have trouble swallowing anything other than baby food. Other than that he seems good. He grooms himself and seems basically normal. I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow.

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

How do his gums look? Are they still red and inflamed or are there any spots that look like they are still bleeding at all?

I found this when searching about side effects of Lincocin:

It is possible that the decreased eating is a side effect of the medicine.

7. Kathie

Kathie Member

He's hungry and wants to eat, but has trouble swallowing solid food. His throat in back looks almost as inflamed as before. AI thought I would see more improvement. I hate to give him another Cortizone shot.

8. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

how's Mr B today? What did the vet say?

best wishes,
    laur

9. Kathie

Kathie Member

Hi Laur, :smile:

Thanks for asking. Mr. B's not eating too well. The vet said to give it more time and also gave me more pain medication. He said the stomatitis will probably never completely go away. He seems fine except for the eating. He wants to eat the regular food but gags on it. I've been giving him baby food and pureed food with lots of gravy. Maybe he's sick of the baby food and it's so expensive - $1.05 a 2.5 oz.bottle. But, I don't care if he'll eat it. Do you remember me from Minkus? I still miss him.

10. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I didn't realize it's the same Kathie. Sure, I remember Minkus. I remember how much you loved him and how hard you tried to help him. It's coming up on two years that he's been gone, right? Of course you still miss him. You always will, but I hope you are able to remember the good things without the pain being quite so searing. You know, it's been so long since I've seen his face, do you have any online pictures of Minkus that I can look at?

When Zollikins had all her teeth out, she also got worse several days later when the fentanyl patch wore off. So we went back but the dentist said it was ok. We did get some more pain meds though. She only had it on her gums though, not the throat. But I did a bit of searching. What about some herbal remedies such as slippery elm? That is supposed to be very soothing and is anti-inflammatory; it is often used for mouth ulcers or other digestive act troubles. Seems like it would be great for a sore throat. It apparently tastes sweet so it's well tolerated in cat food, or you might be able to give it with a dropper. I bet if you posted a question about it, others have experience with it. Links:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=lib ... lipperyelm
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_mix_g ... r_your_cat
    http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_p ... /index.cfm

The other thing that occurs to me is chilling the food. When you have your tonsils out, eating cold smooth food is the best thing.

good luck,
    laur

11. Kathie

Kathie Member

Hi Laur,

You're right, it will be 2 years that I lost Minkus on October 27th. He was such a good cat. Unfortunately, I never had online pictures of him. I don't know how to do that. He was a large black and white cat. Mr. B is a long-haired black.

I'm going to check on the slippery elm tomorrow. I looked in his throat today and it was still red, although not as bad as it was. I'm willing to try anything to help him. I keep his baby food in the refrigerator so it probably feels better to his throat.

How is everything with your kitties?

Take care,
    Kathie

I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.