Healing Vines Needed for Marshmallow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Our FDMB star, Marshmallow, is overnight at the vet and needs lots of healing vines.

@granadilla, please update us when you can with how Marshmallow is doing.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sending positive vibes from the Shire ...

Tucker&Me and granadilla like this.
  3. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Thank you both so much. I went to visit her after work and she seemed more alert. The fluids have helped and they put some Zofran in her IV as well. Now we just wait for the blood work results.

pevsfreedom and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Speedy recovery Marshmallow! :bighug:

granadilla likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Hi Shane,

Any news on Marshmallow yet? And how are you holding up? Pancreatitis flares are very hard on both bean and cat.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

granadilla likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines for Marshmallow with wishes for a speedy recovery.

granadilla likes this.
  7. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Love and Healing Vines to sweet kitty friend, Marshmallow from Tucker and Me. :bighug:
    "..Ain't nobody got time for that..!" :(

granadilla likes this.
  8. granadilla

Thanks everyone.

Mogs, I saw her last night. It's now morning in California and I'm going to see her before work. Hopefully she can come home this afternoon. The vet still doesn't think it's pancreatitis but I'm just nodding and smiling and waiting for the blood work to come in...

9. Critter Mom

Good morning, Shane. :)

I'm glad that you got to visit with Marshmallow last night and that you're seeing her this a.m. Please give her some 'get better soon' scritches from me, and have as good a day as you can manage at work. :bighug:

If you get a chance, please let us know how Marshmallow's doing today.

Squalliesmom and granadilla like this.
  10. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Granadilla and Marshmallow, sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

granadilla likes this.
  11. granadilla

Quick update!

1) Marshmallow has a UTI.

2) The pancreatitis test was normal and so was the other blood work. I'm cautiously optimistic. I read on the IBD Kitties site that some cats test negative on the pancreatitis test but if you give them an ultrasound, the pancreas can show up as inflamed.

The plan of action is: Give her antibiotics for 10 days, then take her back for a recheck. I don't want to pay for an ultrasound if I don't have to so for now I will treat symptomatically if I see any pancreatitis-type symptoms.

She is still at the vet on fluids. Turns out they didn't give her any anti-nausea meds because she didn't seem nauseated to them. When I visited both last night and this morning she was licking her lips. I told the vet she isn't a lip-licker normally so please just give her some Zofran. He said okay. (He acted like he was indulging me, but whatever, as long as she gets what she needs.)

He has agreed to call in a scrip for ondanestron to my pharmacy so I can give it to her at home if she needs it. I can pick her up after work tonight, and tonight I'll have the conversation about him giving me some pain meds in case I think she needs it. He's opposed to giving what he considers "unnecessary" medicine, which I am too. But if she seems to be in pain again like she was on Sunday night, then I want to have them.

Thanks everyone for the healing vines and I'll let you know how she is tonight. Can't wait to get my furball back home!

(@Shiloh & Rhonda, here's today's update.:))

12. Critter Mom

Oh, Shane, I'm so glad the test results were good and that the vet has identified the issue. :cat:

[clenched teeth] I'm sayin' nuthin' ... [/clenched teeth] :rolleyes:

Good idea to ask about the pain meds. If you have them to hand, you have the choice available to respond to any pain - and UTIs can be very painful. If Marshmallow doesn't appear to need them, then you can withhold. I wish that vets wouldn't treat so many of us as though we're eejits ... :mad:

Delighted your darling girl is coming home tonight. :D

Mogs

13. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@granadilla so glad the blood test results came out normal. I am sure that is a big relief for you. While the UTI is annoying, it beats having pancreatitis and kidney issues.
    If I recall from reading Dr. Pierson's site, I believe UTI is more common with feeding dry food. So now the challenge is finding a wet food for her sensitive tummy.
    Can you force feed Marshmallow canned food if she won't eat it readily? That's what I did with Bonnie for awhile to jump start her back into recovery.

Have you discussed giving Methylcobalamin Cyanocobalamin shots with the vet? You can do the injections at home. IBD cats often have normal blood work (Bonnie always does) and methyl B12 is great for absorption of nutrients in an IBD cat especially when vomiting, vomiting and diarrhea are present.

It will be so good when Marshmallow is home again with you!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    granadilla and Critter Mom like this.
  14. granadilla

Tell. Me. About. It.

I figured that having a conniption wouldn't give me the result I wanted, so I just said, "hey, indulge me on this. She doesn't normally lick her lips so I know it's either a sign of dehydration or nausea. She's on fluids, so let's go with nausea. Even if you don't think she needs it, please just indulge me and give her some Zofran." He nodded and smiled (much like I do when I don't agree with him!) but he said he'd do it, which is all that matters.

Sometimes (definitely not all the time), it seems to happen with male medical professionals. I had a male eye doctor PAT ME ON THE NOSE about 5 years ago. I was a grown woman at the time, not a toddler, and yet HE PATTED ME ON THE NOSE. In some ways I know more about my health than my docs do, just like we know our kitties better than our vets do. Sigh.

15. granadilla

Yes! Much better to have a UTI than something more dramatic. I was so worried yesterday.

She is such a dry food addict! I can force feed her wet if need be. The last time I did that is when she went hypo and went OTJ, and she hasn't touched wet food since. She now seems to have an aversion to ALL wet foods, little fuss pot. She used to eat one or two brands of wet food (just a tablespoon per day -- I'd put out the tablespoon in the morning and it could take her all day to eat it), but since the hypo incident, she won't go near any wet. But I'll get some duck wet food and see if she will eat it.

The vet gave her a B12 test a couple of weeks ago when she had dental work. Her levels were fine so he didn't want to give her injections. I'll ask again. Especially because when she's on antibiotics she gets diarrhea and I know that she was feeling nauseous, so it might be a great thing to add.

Very happy to be able to take her home tonight!

16. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Bonnie has never had a B12 test. Research shows the benefits of B12 shots in IBD cats. And the vet emphasized this would help her. When I had her on a change of diet and just Budesonide, she wasn't keeping weight on and was lethargic. The B12 shots have done wonders.

Note: Bonnie gets Cyanocobalamin B12 injections, not Methylcobalamin.

Critter Mom and granadilla like this.
  17. Critter Mom

:eek::eek::eek:

Unreal.

granadilla likes this.
  18. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

We need a new thread for crazy things doctors do to beans. :nailbiting:

SpecklesandMe and granadilla like this.
  19. Critter Mom

[giggles] :D

granadilla likes this.
  20. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Note: It was the ER vet that emphasized B12 shots could help Bonnie based on her symptoms and medical history. Again, she was never tested for B12. It was Bonnie's regular vet that tried to talk me out of giving B12 shots, saying "B12 shots hurt cats" (BALONEY). Once her regular vet got the ER report, he agreed I should proceed with the B12 shots.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    granadilla likes this.
  21. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

I only just now saw this (thanks to my crappy internet connection) --- so just wanted to say Bat-Bat & I are sending healing vibes to Marshmallow for a speedy recovery! Give her an extra scritch under the chin for us - and here's a big hug for you! :bighug: - Robin

granadilla likes this.
  22. Critter Mom

Ain't necessarily so. Saoirse cries for a little while after she receives a B12 jab. Our vet said that some cats seem to find them a bit stingy.

23. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

The key is the using a smaller needle. Neither of my cats have any problems with it.

24. Critter Mom

Ah! What size needle is best?

25. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

25G x 5/8 needle.

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When I inject B12 I use 30 gauge, 1/2 inch needle length insulin syringes. The are 1/2 CC that I obtained

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Thanks for the tips! The needle length on our vets' syringe I'll ask the vet about using a different needle should she need a B12 injection in the future (currently supplementing methyl B12 orally).

28. Critter Mom

It is Zobaline that I'm giving Saoirse. Did I muck up the terminology?

29. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

No, I did. Zobaline is the oral Methyl B12. Cyanocobalamin B12 shots are what I give Bonnie for IBD.

Can't find the strike-out correction key.

30. Critter Mom

Giving methylcobalamin via injection would get round GI tract malabsorption problems. Zobaline is methylcobalamin and folic acid and as far as I know it's only available as a tablet. I'm all confused. :confused:

ETA:

Strikeout is [ s ] and [ /s ] - obviously without the spaces. (Had to go to a BBCode site to find that out.)

Saoirse got cyanocobalamin injections at the vets.

31. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

32. Critter Mom

Pass? :confused: I started the Zobaline based on the recommendation from Tanya's site to give B12. I wanted to see whether Saoirse would be able to benefit from oral supplementation 'cause it would save her trips to the vet. Historically, Saoirse has had B12 malabsorption problems, hence the cyanocobalamin injections she got previously. The oral supplement seems to be helping her, though. Her coat has improved a bit since I started it a few days ago.

(Shane - sincere apologies for the frankenthread. :oops::oops::oops:)

granadilla and Cat Ma like this.
  33. granadilla

Mogs, I love a good frankenthread! :)

Marshmallow is now at home! She had a snack and went into the closet to take a nap. I'm at the pharmacy waiting for her ondansetron (wow is it pricey, even for the generic).

When should I check her BG again? She was 189 this morning on the vet's meter. I'm sure it's due to stress but when should I check her again?

Critter Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  34. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I would wait until tomorrow morning or so. The vet BG # is likely high due to Marshmallow not being a happy camper at the vet. And the UTI. I wouldn't be worried tonight. So glad Marshmallow is home!

granadilla likes this.
  35. granadilla

Mogs, I'm really glad you told me the dose for Ondansetron is 1/4 of a 4 mg tablet. (Is that once or twice a day, BTW?)

I just got back from the pharmacy and the label says "give 1 pill once or twice a day as needed" but the pills are the 4 mg tablets!! So if we hadn't had that convo about Ondansetron, I could have given her a whole 4 mg tablet!:eek::confused::eek:

The vet tech wrote the scrip but she should have known better!

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. Critter Mom

Hi Shane,

Very glad to hear that Marshmallow's back home safe with you! :)

Glad the dosing info was helpful. When starting out Saoirse on ondansetron I gave her 1mg (1/4 tablet) as needed up to a maximum of twice a day. Some days the 1mg was enough for her but if I noticed nausea symptoms returning I gave her the 2nd 1mg. She gradually needed more , so currently I give her 2mg BID.

NB - keep an eye on Marshmallow's stools: ondansetron can be a little binding.

granadilla likes this.
  37. Critter Mom

Hi Shane,

How's the patient?

38. granadilla

Hi Mogs! She's eating a bit and drinking and sleeping in normal positions (no meat loafing like on Sunday night). Still skittish and quiet but that's probably stress from having been hospitalized. I'll feel better when she's more relaxed and more talkative, but i know she just needs a little time to settle down. Thank you for asking. :cat:

39. Critter Mom

Thanks for the update, Shane. I'm glad to hear Marshmallow is recovering well, and even more glad that the two of you are back home together.:cat:

40. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Glad Marshmallow is home and feeling better. Hope she settles down soon. She's such a pretty girl - I love your new photo and can see her lovely markings better.

41. Tisha's_Person

Tisha's_Person Member

Believe it or not, I have this same fight with my daughter's doctors. She is 16 and has had severe asthma her whole life. I know her symptoms and triggers, but new docs always question whether I am just overreacting. One ER nurse told me she was fine, and left her in the waiting room for an hour. Her oxygen was so low when we got in the room that the new nurse put her on oxygen and ran for a doc. But I digress...

I am so glad to hear Marshmallow seems to be better. FWIW, we did the ultrasound with Tisha and all it told us what that her pancreas was inflamed, which we already knew. The doc at the hospital said it could be anything from an infection to cancer. Way to narrow it down!

I am so glad Marshmallow is home! Hospital stays are hard on everyone and I am sure she is glad to be back home too!

42. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

So glad Marshmallow is home! I hope she can resume her modeling career soon! Seriously, she looks like a pro in her photo!

43. Robin&BB

It's a happy, happy day when your kitty comes home from the hospital!:) So glad she's on the mend. And that's a lovely new photo!!!
    Will continue sending healing vibes to Marshmallow.:bighug:

44. granadilla

@Robin&BB, I like Bat-Bat's "summer at the country house" photo too! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. Robin&BB

@granadilla - Thanks! No matter where there's a table, she's on it.;)

granadilla likes this.
  46. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

Great to hear Marshmellow is doing better.

granadilla likes this.
  47. Just read this thread, sorry to join late, but glad to hear Marshmellow is doing better. Saying healing prayers for Marshmellow and all the precious kitties on here. :cat:

Cat Ma, granadilla and Critter Mom like this.
  48. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My grocery store pharmacy wanted $33 dollars for 10 pills of Ondansetron. That's $3.30 per pill.
    I got the next prescription filled at the Costco Pharmacy where you don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy, and it was something like $28 plus tax for 90 pills, which is about 33 cents per pill.
    Sending vines to Marshmellow to feel all better soon.

49. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Hugs I am sorry your having such a bad time with the vet, I hate it when they get all superior on me. Its like they are saying "WE ARE THE ALL KNOWING MIGHTY DOCTOR WE KNOW ALL, SEE ALL BOW TO US. " :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :blackeye: :blackeye: Big huggles to both of you and healing vines and love to marshmallow.

50. granadilla

@Dyana, was the scrip in your name or the kitty's name?

I went to my local Walgreen's drugstore where I get all my meds filled. If the scrip was in my name, it would have cost me under $5 because it would be covered by my health insurance. Because it was in Marshmallow's name, they couldn't run it through my insurance so I had to pay the cash / uninsured price, which was $95. I went ahead and paid it because I wanted it quickly. I got 80 doses (40 days if she gets it twice a day and for now I'm going to try just once a day).

Next time I'm going to ask them to put it in my name so it can go through my insurance. Or maybe one of my own docs will write me a scrip for it in my name if the vet won't.

51. granadilla

Marsh is doing well. She started making some noise last night! She makes little squeaky noises and high-pitched mews. :cat:

She isn't grooming her neck so I know she isn't at 100%. She sticks her whole neck in the water bowl, getting it soaking wet. When she's feeling normal, she sits up and grooms her neck but when she doesn't feel good, she walks around with a dripping wet neck. As of this morning she still wasn't grooming her neck, but the other Ps are in place. Hopefully the antibiotic will help soon, but I'm encouraged by her behavior in general. :)

52. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Costco offers a discount rate for "uninsured" pets. I get the scripts there in my cats' names.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  53. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

She sounds happy to be home! Hope she's feeling much better soon.

54. granadilla

Good to know! I knew I could get it online for less but I didn't want to wait. Next time I'm in a hurry I'll try Costco.

Thank you! She's definitely acting more like herself. :cat:

Cat Ma likes this.
  55. granadilla

No! Which is great, because she was super lethargic after taking Cerenia. And Pepcid didn't work at all. But when I gave her the Ondansetron, it worked and she didn't become a zombie-cat. We have a winner!

Now I just need to figure out how to get pills into her. I usually get liquids whenever possible because she's fine with taking anything through a syringe, but pills are another story... I crushed the Ond last night and put it in a syringe with water but it must have tasted bitter because that didn't go over well at all (whipped her head around and squirmed like a maniac).

Cat Ma likes this.
  56. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Mix in the crushed Ondanestron in some canned food, stir and put it in the syringe with something like a coffee stirrer. If necessary, add a little water to the canned food. That's the only way I can get a lot of meds down CJ and Bonnie. They tolerate this well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  57. Critter Mom

Hi Shane,

Glad to hear that Marshmallow's making good progress and that the ondansetron is helping her. I've not tasted it myself but I believe from my reading that it does taste somewhat bitter. I hope you find a way to administer it relatively easily. I'm spoilt in that respect: as cats go, Saoirse's a dream to pill. (((Saoirse))) Interesting and valuable feedback on Cerenia side effects, BTW.

Mogs

58. granadilla

Aw (((Saoirse))). :cat:

Cerenia doesn't affect all cats like that. A lot of kitties with IBD nausea take Cerenia 5 days per week, then 2 off. I'll need to find out how frequently I can give her the Ondansetron. I think she has some regular low-grade nausea from IBD. I talked to the vet about starting B12 injections but he didn't want to do too many things at once. He wants her to heal from her UTI and the stress of being hospitalized, and then we can try B12. I know B12 helps some cats with nausea so if it works for Marsh, then she might not need the Ond on an ongoing basis.

mmm, breakfast of champions!

Cat Ma likes this.
  59. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hopefully the dietary change, Budesonide and B12 injections will help once Marshmallow has recovered from her UTI. Bonnie rarely vomits now except hairballs. She used to vomit constantly. She still vomits if she sneaks into CJ's food. Now she loves the raw food. I resisted feeding her raw for years till I read up on low carb diets for CJ and the benefits of raw food for IBD cats. Now I wished I had fed her the raw stuff sooner.

Has Marshmallow's BG #'s gone back down?

60. Critter Mom

Ondansetron is administered on an ongoing basis for chronic pancreatitis. I used to give it to Saoirse ad hoc - once a day or so - until she became mildly azotaemic recently due to the early stage kidney insufficiency.

Going forward, if it's low-grade nausea then B12 supplementation might be the better way to go. It really can make such a difference. Just make sure you keep an eye on how Marshmallow's kidneys are performing. There are caveats about B12 supplementation for CKD cats. Saoirse is experiencing a bit of a pancreatitis flare at the moment so, CKD or no CKD, I gave her a week or so of Zobaline BID and it really made a difference to her appetite, her mood, and her coat condition. I've read recently that B12 has anti-inflammatory properties, and I think it really helped calm her pancreas down a bit.

Mogs

61. granadilla

I couldn't get her BG this morning. Whenever I went to pick her up, she thought I was going to give her more yucky-tasting meds and went under the bed. I'm going to put the barricade back up around the bed and I'll get her BG tonight. I really feel for people who have to test their kitties BGs every hour. Even when Marshmallow doesn't hide under the bed, she likes to take long naps buried in the closet and when I take her out, she howls and acts like I'm trying to murder her. She's such a docile sweet cat, but she can be such a drama queen!!

@Cat Ma, I would totally give Marsh commercially prepared raw food but you've already heard how she is with wet food. I still hope to get there with her... someday.

@Critter Mom, as of this week's blood work, Marshmallow's kidneys are still in the normal range but at the high end of normal. The vet made a comment about how we want to keep them where they are. I can't help but feel like all the meds I'm pumping into her will eventually tax her kidneys. Some probiotics are supposed to help with nausea. I started a new probiotic last week but I haven't given it to her since she got home from the vet. Too many new things at once can cause a flare-up of IBD so I have to go slowly with her. One step at a time, one paw in front of the other...

62. Critter Mom

I hear you, Shane. Same story with chronic pancreatitis. Everything I introduce to try to help Saoirse is done very much on a softly, softly basis.

Your vet's right on the money, there. Anything you can do to minimize phosphorus consumption would be very beneficial. (Tricky, this. I've only found one food that Saoirse can tolerate pretty well pancreatitis-wise but it's high in phosphorus. She's getting some phosphorus binder in one meal every few days to compensate but I wish I had a low phosphorus food she could eat OK.)

Mogs

63. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The prescription was in my cat's name.
    I always shop around for drugs. I mean when I have time. The first prescription I paid the $33 for, and the second and there after for Ondansetron was at Costco Pharmacy. I think I also got my injectable cyanocobalamin there.
    It's the same way with all drugs (human and pet), I shop around. It's amazing the difference in prices.

SpecklesandMe and granadilla like this.
  64. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to hear that she's back home with you and steadily getting better! It's always so stressful when they're at the vet's, both for the kitties and their moms and dad. Everybody feels better when our babies are back home with us. Hugs for you both! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

granadilla, Robin&BB and Critter Mom like this.
  65. Robin&BB

What Lucy said: DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!!! So happy you have your little Marshmallow
    back!!! And the healing vibes will keep on comin' your way! :cat::bighug::bighug:

granadilla likes this.
  66. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

67. granadilla

PMBG was 102 last night so we're back in OTJ numbers. :)

When I got home from work, she was sleeping on top of the bed instead of hiding under it. I quickly put the barricade back around the bed and she didn't cry and make a dash to get under there, she just watched me. Which means she feels calmer and safer.

And last but not least, her neck fur was only damp, not sopping wet. That means she's been doing some neck grooming. We're on the mend!!:woot:

Cat Ma and Critter Mom like this.
  68. Critter Mom

What great news, Shane! I'm so glad Marshmallow's feeling better, and feeling safe again. I'm sure you're feeling much relieved. :cat:

granadilla likes this.
  69. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.