Health Update and the Foster's Name Revealed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stefani&toonces, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

. . . and the winner is . ..

Sebastian Purrbox!

:razz:

Sebastian has been giving me funky high numbers and short duration, so I upped him to 2 units. I have never given a cat that much lantus, LOL. It feels like an absolutely humognous dose of lantus to me! But I have to keep in mind his size (12.5 pounds at the vet check, and he's only gained weight since then). Also, the 2 units seems to be doing the trick, and he is now at nearly +13 I haven't been able to shoot him yet. Still, he's not breaking the 100 floor, so I am breathing a sigh of relief that it seems going up to 2 units was not dangerous. (I read Tilly -- Tilly says either .25 or .5 depending on numbers and his numbers have been running high so I went with .5).

Nice, flat downward facing curve. Nadir around 120 so I think we're safe. For now.

I am concerned that he has a dental scheduled for July 5 and isn't regulated yet. I don't want him going under anesthesia until he's more consistent if I can help it. The shelter vet told me to leave it up to the dental vet. I will call her today and my guess is she is going to want to go ahead with it. The shelter vet says he has a tooth that is broken off and that it looked to her like there was infection at the base. He definitely acts like he has some oral pain. He's on clindamycin for that. Otherwise his pearly whites look good and no evident periodontal disease.

His purrsonlity is coming out more and more. He is more vocal, he wants to come out and see what is going on in the rest of the house. He has been playing with his catnip carrot, battering it with his rear legs. Last night he played dangling toy attack with my cell phone charger cord. LOL

Update: It's +13.25 and I have just bitten the bullet and shot him with a 157 PS. If this curve is like the last curve, he will "hang" for about 8 hours. We will see . . .

I should have bloodwork results by Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

Keep a good thought for Sebastian Purrbox!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the name!

If he has a dental infection this could cause his BG's to stay high. Once his teeth are addressed, his BG's should drop. So be on the lookout for that and the possibility of dose reduction.

As they say in LL - sometimes you have to go up in order to come down. As long as you are arriving at the dose slowly and safely, don't get hung up on it.

3. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Nice report. Keep up the good work. 2u does not sound high to me. My kitty was on 10u before I found the board. That was 27 months and the "Queen of Bounce" is now OTJ. Hope you get a spreadsheet up and running and post on LL. What a great name too. Good luck.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: BASTIAN!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.