? Heffernan 5/5/15 Dental with several extractions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura & Heffernan, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

Heff had a major dental today with several extractions.

He had a nerve block, shot of bupe & will go back tomorrow for another shot of bupe. Also on another med, plus Clindamycin.

He hasn't slept or napped since I brought him home around 7. Is that normal? I thought he'd be exhausted.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You have to remember ...he had anesthesia and slept all that time too :)

But seriously...sometimes bupe will wire them up instead of making them sleepy

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

the pain meds made my girl dysphoric after her dentals. She would pace, move to another spot, get up and pace again.... over and over...
    couldn't sleep. very wild eyed.
    in her case, she needed a lower dose of pain meds.

some can respond with aggitation instead of getting knocked out. sometimes I do that with Nyquil if I take it too many nights in a row.

4. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

My Lucy didn't fully relax for three days after an anesthetic a few years ago and I was very anxious about her having a dental earlier this year but she did really well with that anesthetic as they used different medications. So sometimes maybe the medications used can cause agitation or maybe the stress of the experience could be a factor in causing an inability to relax too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.