Hello, 13 year old Maine Coon recently diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brad Kowalski, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Kowalski

Brad Kowalski New Member

Hello, My name is Brad and I have a 13 year old male Maine Coon named Sebastian. He was recently diagnosed and was very sick. He had Upper respiratory infection, low Potassium, Anemia, dehydrated and diabetes. He was started on Vetsulin which did nothing but drop his numbers very quickly causing them to rise back up very high after the 6 hour low number. He would go from 500 to 600s down to mid to low 200s and sometimes mid 100s but soar right back up. After watching these numbers bounce for a few weeks I decided to research insulin and came across Lantus which several of my friends have used on their cats with very good results. I had my Vet do a prescription and started using this on Saturday the 14th. So far I am dosing 1 1/2 Units and his numbers come down from 5-600 to the low 400 to high 300s but they are not bouncing as bad. I have read about building the insulin depot so I have not increased the dose. Tonight's dose will be his 6th dose. It looks like he will need an increase to get the numbers down unless it just hasn't built up enough to start working 100% yet? This is all new to me. I am using an Alphatrak 2 meter and checking regularly to see what is going on with numbers. I am keeping a log of the insulin amount and bg numbers also. Very nice to come across this website! I am already more at ease knowing there are others out there to share knowledge. Very hard dealing with a vet on this not being able to have contact in the beginning when you need answers to questions. Thanks for doing what you all do! Brad and Sebastian

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The Lantus forum is a great place for you to seek advice. :)

3. Brad Kowalski

Brad Kowalski New Member

Thank you! It will take some time to get used to navigating these forums. I am a contractor so limited with computer skills. I will adjust.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You’ll be astounded at the level of expertise here on FDMB. :smuggrin:

5. Brad Kowalski

Brad Kowalski New Member

I am already amazed at the wealth of information I am seeing! This will be so very helpful!

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

7. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! I have a Maine coon mix. We're somewhat new here. There's a lot to learn but we're learning fast. Everyone here is so helpful. Keep reading!

Brad Kowalski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.