Hello! 2nd time diabetic cat Mom, first time here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CatMamaG, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Hi,

Hi everyone!

I adopted my diabetic kitty, Tyler Moo Moo, from the pound about a month ago. He's an plder gentleman, and was slated for euthanasia due to his unregulated blood sugar.

We are swinging wildly between blood sugars at weekly vet appointments in the 400s and 50s. (!) I bought a Relion to try home testing and am a little afraid of it.

I tried to home test with a previous diabetic cat and it didn't go well. I didn't get blood with most of the pokes, Max looked at me like he didn't understand why I was torturing him, and when we did comparitive readings at the vet's office, there was a 100 point discrepancy in simultaneous tests. Hoping testing goes better this time around.

Will check out the info here on doing that. Will add photo and edit signature when I can figure out how to make the instructions work. :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome G and Tyler Moo Moo!:bighug: Glad you are giving home testing another chance! Most likely cause for the 100 point discrepancy is that you were using human glucometer while majority of Vet's use pet meter like AlphaTrak 2. Absolutely nothing wrong with using the ReliOn, many of us in the states use ReliOn Confirm/Micro :). If you are interested in sharing Tyler Moo Moo's numbers, we could help you detect patterns and other observations. We use Google docs/Spreadsheets and if you need help setting it up, just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Couple things to add to your Signature information besides your fur babies names are suggested here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

I know it's your 2nd time with a sugar baby but first time here so I will still leave you with this and hope you never need it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Feel free to ask any questions on the Main Health Forum :cat:

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Mister Moo Moo! Welcome to your new home.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Kudos to you for adopting a diabetic kitty. There's a lot of help for you here. :)

5. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

Yes Big Kudos to you for adopting a diabetic kitty thank goodness for people like you to save a kitty!

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If having the same numbers as the vet is important to you (it was important to me), then I suggest you invest in an Alphatrak pet meter. Human meters run lower.

It's not painful to them if you don't poke the vein.... Hit the area between the vein and the outer edge of the ear.

Thank you for giving the kitty a chance.

If the numbers are singing that much you need to reduce the dose!

7. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Ok, got the meter set for time & date. Very intimidated. Tyler is older and a bit cranky when I do things he doesn't like. But, I will try it tonight.

He didn't eat much of his Fancy Feast Classic this morning. (He may be eating the dry Kirkland food I free feed my others).

But, his bs reading was over 500 Tuesday at the vet. :(

Hopefully, he will tolerate this.

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Good luck!

9. JanetNJ

Good luck.

If you are going to leave out dry, make sure it's diabetic friendly.... Either young again zero carb or Dr elsley's clean protein are two choices. Both companies will send a free sample if you ask.

10. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Are those foods ok to feed as the only food my other cats eat, or will the other cats meed supplementing?

11. JanetNJ

They are great food to feed although honestly it's healthier for ALL cats to eat wet food because cats tend to not drink enough which is tough on the kidneys. cats are prone to kidney problems. I offer all six of my cats wet food in the morning and evening mixed with a bit of extra water, and then leave out young again and dr elseys to graze on.

Most dry foods are 25-40% carb.... It's like feeding donuts.... even most of the "grain free" ones because they will substitute potatoes for grain...but young again zero is only 1 percent carb and dr elseys claims to be around 5%. You can ask them both to send samples to see if the cats like it before buying. Youngagainpetfood.com

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

13. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Thank you everyone! Thanks for the info about foods.

Working a bunch of hrs and will try to get spreadsheet up this week & get a new thread on the other page.

I was able to (yay!) eventually get his first home bs reading last night before his insulin dose--532 on a ReliOn. Yikes! He struggled to get away, I struggled to get blood, but I have hopes with the suggestions I found so far on this forum that we will get a system for home testing.

Will update signature again, as I see what's usually here. :)

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  14. JanetNJ

Good job getting a test! If he's squirming you can try flicking the blood drop to the back of your nail and testing it from there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.