Hello... again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bree4Sushi, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

Hello all - it has been awhile since I have been on this forum and I am back again to try and get my darling Sushi back into remission for the second time. I have recently started the spreadsheet to help ppl here have more info to help. When she was initially diagnosed she was just past the threshold of being diabetic and we started at 2 units x day for a week and then gradually lowered to 1 unit x day - after 6 months the vet said she was almost in remission and lowered her to 1/2 unit x day, and then months later she advised 1/2 unit 1x day. She was good enough after 3 months to stop insulin all together! But after moving home for several months (Sushi came with me) to take care of my mom, Sushi started showing signs of pain and high blood sugar again. Read here.

Since the last post we have moved back to Minneapolis and she has been bouncing between 150-275 for the last 6+ months. I normally will give her 1 unit of Lantus, twice a day with her 10% or lower Fancy Feast Pate food. I was using a vial of Lantus that a friend purchased on Craigslist for awhile, and although the vial was dated as good until 10/2020, it seemed to be less effective in the past 6 months. As of 10/14 (beginning of spreadsheet) I am using a new pen that I received from my mother that is diabetic.

My concerns are:

1) She is in pain, not always but seems to be worse when she has high bs.
    2) She has dropped a little weight.
    4) She vomits frequently 2-4 days a week usually with hair in the vomit, but not always. She did get into a bad habit of eating my houseplants quite ferociously when she was high... but continued to vomit more then previously but less then when she was attacking my plants after I put them all out of her reach.

I brought all of this up to my vet - which was roughly less than a year ago - and the vet didn't know what was causing the pain and vomiting, but she didn't have any other conditions besides the diabetes. The doctor gave me anti nausea medication and a B vit supplement, neither seemed to help.

I am not able to afford bringing her to the vet right now, but I want to work to get her as close to remission again while I am saving for the vet. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what her pain might be coming from and why she is vomiting more often?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Bree, of course you are welcome back at FDMB but I'm sorry to hear that Sushi isn't doing well.

Would you create a signature with her information, then copy your message here and start a new thread on the Main Health forum and paste the message. More members monitor that forum than this Intro forum. I am not exceptionally experienced, but what occurred to me was pancreatitis and that question or possible issue can be raised in the Health forum. Let's get as many eyes on this as we can, ok?

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Best wishes and good luck getting Sushi feeling better.

3. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

Thank you so much! I posted in the main forum, but I'm worried about pancreatitis... what does that mean for your lil one?

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have her tested for pancreatitis if you suspect it. The treatment is usually sub q fluids, cerenia as an appetite stimulant, and bupe for pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.