Hello All - I am a newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roe, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roe

Roe New Member

Hello Everyone,
    My sweet boy, Mark Anthony (10 1/2 years) was diagnosed with diabetes 2 weeks ago and it has been rough for me but especially for him. It has been up and down with several visits to his vet and the emergency room. He finally seems to be getting a bit better, but I still worry about him all the time and look forward to connecting with others in this situation.

One problem I am having is with his sister, Cleo. She can smell the medicine on him and hisses and tries to scratch him. They are no longer close as they used to be and she appears to now have become the dominate cat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping they can get along as they used to which would be good for both of them.

Thanks for any help and so glad to have others that understand how important our fur babies are to us!!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Roe and Mark Anthony! I’m glad things are a little better with your boy. Do you home test his sugars? As far as Cleo’s behavior, I didn’t have that problem with my other kitties, so I’m not sure what to tell you. Maybe post the question in the Main Health forum where there are more folks around to give you some ideas.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. The diabetes diagnosis can seem very overwhelming at first, but just one step at a time gets you where you need to go. Please take some time and read the Getting Started on the Home page, then the Education section. I know, it's a lot to absorb at first, but it's information that will help. I had to go back more than once and just read through, the more I understood, the more I could help my kitty. There is more information here in the forums and a whole community of people to help. Like Sharon14 said, post your concerns and questions in the Feline Health (Main Forum) so that more members can see and respond.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's probably more smelling the vet office than anything else. You could see if multicat feliway diffusers help return the peace. Testing at home would eliminate many vet visits. My cat didnt need to go back for a year once I started testing at home.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  6. Roe

Roe New Member

Hi Sharon,
    Thank you for responding! I do not test his blood sugar at this time. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Check out the video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. :)

9. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Welcome:bighug:

10. Charlie8610

Charlie8610 Member

Welcome! My other cat starting acting weird towards Charlie a couple weeks before he was diagnosed. It’s like she sensed he was weak or something. Now we are a week in and she has calmed down. I say just give it time and make sure youre still giving your other cat just the same attention as your diabetic-which we do and not even notice! Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.