Hello all, we are new here.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sydney T_FL, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydney T_FL

Sydney T_FL Member

Hello everyone. My name is Sydney, and by bundle of fur Sheba, was just diagnosed as diabetic. She was in the hospital for 6 days for a variety of ailments to include but not limited to diabetes, viral infection, and high sugar (300's) The Dr. Sent her home today and prescribed her Levemir 1unit every 12 hours. However I am very reluctant to start her dose tonight because I just checked her glucose with my home meter ( True Result) and it was 96. Did I do the wrong thing by holding the dose until I can call the vet in the morning?
    I am feeding her a low carb diet. Evo95 now. (She. Still has very little appetite.) She is on Amoxicillin (3ml 2xdaily at the moment) and Valium for 2 more days.
    Also wanted to say what a relief it is to have this board and so many people I can reach out to.. It gives me comfort.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Great decision! You have kept your cat safe.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes.

Sydney T_FL likes this.
  3. Sydney T_FL

Sydney T_FL Member

Thanks for the reply and the Info. I feel a little better now.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here's my standard welcome (I wanted to be sure your didn't shoot!):

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

5. Sydney T_FL

Sydney T_FL Member

No, I didn't shoot.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We have 2 protocols you may follow for using Levemir:
    Tight Regulation
    Start Low, Go Slow
    Have a read over them and see which one will fit best for you.
    One note: Levemir has a later nadir (lowest glucose) than Lantus, sometimes as late as the next pre-shot. As you collect data, you'll begin to see where that happens for your cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.