hello all

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by luke9511, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luke9511

luke9511 New Member

hello and good day, i have a 12 year old orange tabby cat with diabetes and am looking to rehome him due to not being able to care for him, if anyone has any advice at all please let me know. i would rather him go to a new home than be put to sleep

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please repost on the main health forum so that more people will see this and perhaps have advice for you.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You aren't able to care for him for what reason? Financial? Time wise? We may be able to offer suggestions for resources to help.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Luke,

I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament. As Kris says above, if you also post a message on the Feline Health board it is busier and you may get more help there.

Following on from Janet's post, if you would prefer to keep your kitty but you're facing some hurdles at the moment then if you let us know a bit more about the problems maybe we might be able to suggest ways for you to overcome them. For example (and no guarantees) some kitties go into diabetic remission after a diet change to a diabetic-friendly food and a short course of insulin. Cats in remission do not need insulin injections; they just need to keep on the diabetic-friendly food. (There are lots of affordable commercial cat foods to choose from.) If the diabetes is caught early and the kitty has previously been on a high carb diet there are cases where the food change alone is enough to send a kitty into remission. Here's a link to the US diabetic-friendly cat food list in case you might like to give the diet change a try:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

If the difficulties are insurmountable and if we're not able to help you with rehoming here then, in addition to contacting other cat rescue centres, if you're in the US perhaps you might try contacting a group called Diabetic Cats in Need. They are on Facebook. They may be able to suggest things to help with your little orange tabby boy's rehoming endeavours.

Saying a prayer you'll be successful.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.