Hello All!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by doose24, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doose24

doose24 Member

Hi Everyone,

My cat Nana was just diagnosed with diabetes. Nana is a 10 year old female calico cat. About 3 weeks ago I noticed she was drinking more than usually so I took her to Vet. They did the a blood test and her BG was 374. They also tested her urine and found glucose.

I was told to give 2 units of Vetsulin once a day and track her BG at home. So before I started her insulin, I changed her diet to just wet food. Her BG then dropped to 245 (measured at home and Vet's office) just by changing her diet.

The vet told me to still give her 2 units of insulin once a day. I bought an AlphaTraK2 and have stared taking her readings at home.

Sometimes after 4 hours of the insulin shot, her bg drops to 168. Some days it's stays above 200 (212, 230, etc).

Am I not giving her the shot correctly some days?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!!

2. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

HI ! I would definitely move into posting a question here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    the main forum for now...as it does not seem right that all the insulin would be given in 1 injection once per day.

Seems like it should be once in the AM and once in the PM divided UP 1 Unit in the morning (like 6am for example) and then 1 Unit in the evening (like 6pm for example)

always feed around injection time to help stabilize and not go hypo- I am fairly new here so definitely post your question in the MAIN FORUM link given above :)
    there are VERY knowledgeable people in the forum that can guide you appropriately :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! In cats insulin should be given twice a day, the once a day is the dose for dogs. It’s great that you are home testing, please do come to the Main Forum and ask your questions. There are many there who will help you figure Nana out.

beggargirl and Julia Rae like this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.