Hello All

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SophiasMom, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SophiasMom

SophiasMom New Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Heather and I have a 11 year old diabetic cat names Sophia. She was diagnosed June of 2018. I administer Vetsulin 2x a day, 5 units each time, and we feed her the Royal Canin Glycobalance dry food. We also give Sophia a cranberry supplement called Cranimals to help keep her from getting a UTI. She's been UTI free for over a year. That was one of our biggest issues around the time she was diagnosed and for the first few months after she was regulated.

I joined the Facebook group and that has prompted me to do quite a bit of research. I know now that we have great chances of being diet controlled and lowering her doses of insulin with a little work.

We are going to start testing Sophia's blood glucose tomorrow and work on changing her diet to wet food. I forgot to grab the lancing device at Wal Mart today so I'll have to run back out in the morning. My vet is semi onboard with the changes. She wants us to take it slow and start by using the glucose monitor at home. Once she has a good set of data to look at we will work on dosage and diet changes under her supervision.

I know that not a lot of people have had a great experience with their vet's advice, but we trust ours and we are happy that she's willing to advise me on the changes were making. I look forward to being on the message board and sharing our experience and getting some advice.

Heather and Sophia

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

welcome. Glad you are going to start testing and getting her off the high carb food. 5 units is a very large dose, more than average... But it could be because of the dry food. The one you are feeding is about 14% carb... Too high for a diabetic cat. I have a link to the food list is my signature. Once you learn to test so get her on a food less than 10% carb (under 7 is even better).

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Heather and Sophia. I think you will find good information and support here on FDMB.

So that we can see Sophia's information would you please create a signature for her that will display whenever you post?

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Another thing that will help us help you when you get started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

You can begin posting in the Main Health forum HERE with further questions, concerns or issues. This Intro forum is just the welcome mat and the Main forum is more heavily monitored so everybody can read and chime in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.