Hello! And best blood glucose meter...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by April & Quincy, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I have read and have tried to implement the advice to angle the lancet to a 45 degree angle, not a straight on approach, and have the bevel of the lancet point upwards. This has helped me not completely pierce the ear.

Test as much as you can, get the capillaries building up in the ear edges because you are going to want to test effectively and consistently when you start the insulin. Always before an injection and then at least once during the cycle (more if you can considering work hours) and then on days off more testing to 'fill in the puzzle piece picture'. Take a look at some of the other members' spreadsheets so you know what I'm talking about. Visit the L,B & L forum and click on the member's SS in the signature.

2. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I'll try the angle. I can't see where the bevel is on the lancets I have. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-30-Gauge-Needle-2-In-1-Lancing-Device-50-Ct/107695582

I will definitely test as much as I can but I don't want to keep hitting the same spot on his ear. I know, it's a big fear. I have been reading the L, B, & L forum and reading their SSs. Holy crap people are thorough!

3. Idjit's mom

Yes, some test more than others, because of work or other activities. But you can see the benefit of getting to know your cat in this way, how he is "likely" to react and that can vary, because he's a cat and that's what cats do. They are working hard to keep their sugar kitties regulated, detect or prevent a hypo and know how that insulin is working.

Sometimes if the numbers rise a lot, that's an indication that something else is going on and they can investigate further to see if it's a dental issue, infection, illness etc. Or, it's because the cat is a master thief and got into human or dog food contraband. :eek:

If you have a magnifying glass in the home, hold an opened lancet up to a light and use the glass to see if you can find that bevel on the lancet. My eyesight is not good anymore and I can't see it either, but you might be able to. In any case, the angle of the penetration should help with just piercing the skin and then gently milking upward with your fingers to get that blood bead on the very light film of petroleum jelly you have already applied.

I have read the same thing about the syringe needle, to reduce the momentary sting of piercing through the skin, the angle and the bevel.

Try poking above or below the previous poke site, you will get there. It's amazing how fast the ears heal up and doing the light compression to prevent bruising is really going to help.

4. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Oh yes, I meant no disrespect to how thorough they are! I just know I won't be able to be that thorough except on weekends due to work. :( I know they are working hard. I will do the best I can.

By opened lancet you mean literally take it apart and look at it? My eyesight isn't so great either but I can try. I know I'm helping him and saving his life, I just feel bad for the constant pokes and pricks. I know I need to get over it and I'm probably more sensitive and worried than my own cat but I'm assuming this is because I'm new! I hope...

5. Idjit's mom

Just take the cap off the lancet, I don't use a lancet device, I just free hand it so I just remove the cap to poke.

I know you feel bad about poking his ears, we all do at first, but you are saving his life. Cats have many fewer nerve endings in their ears than we have in our fingers..if you poke your finger to get a blood sample, it's not even really that bad. Try it, see what that feels like while you are doing it and after. I have read that most cats just don't like their ears messed with, and he will learn that it's just part of his daily routine. He may even learn to request it if his BG is low (some kitties actually do), or if he wants that treat! Idjit does not particularly like being tested, but he always sticks around and demands his treat!

6. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

That's not how my lancet is like? I twist and take off the blue tip thing and then there's a hole into the device and then you push it on a hard surface, a needle pops out and goes back in right away, if that makes sense. I can't see the needle once I take off the blue tip at all. I can take a picture later if it helps.

7. Idjit's mom

Oh, well the device is a different kettle of fish, you have to have it at a straight 90 degree angle to the skin to get the pointy end to penetrate. So, you are probably going to poke through a lot.

Might try just getting a box of regular lancets, 26 or 28 gauge and not using a device. See how that works for you. ?? They are about 2 or 3 bucks for 100.

8. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Are regular lancets needles? Not the device? And then you just stab the ear with the regular lancet/needle?

9. Idjit's mom

10. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Ahhhh okay. I saw those there but wasn't sure so I didn't take them. i'm assuming they are highly recommended compared to the lancet I have, which seems to be more of a punching/piercing device, haha.

11. Idjit's mom

It's really difficult when you are first starting out to know all this, impossible really, but posting, asking questions and getting input and suggestions are what this board is all about. Not everything that worked for me or others is going to work for you, but just knowing that there are answers and support is what helps each one of us keep going and providing the best care we can for our sugar cats.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  12. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Thank you. Yes, this board has been great for me so far and I know it will continue to be great once I start giving insulin next week! Eek!

Regarding the lancets, I'm not sure if I should stick with what I have for awhile just to get some more capillaries or if I should buy the kind you showed...

13. Idjit's mom

Yes, please rely on the board. When you start insulin, start posting on the L,B&L forum so you can get to know the other members, and vice versa. Get as much testing data as you can between now and then, so they have a baseline to review. And also, review those stickies..decide which protocol you will be using and put that into your signature so they know: TR or SLGS, as they are different for dose reductions and testing frequency. You can change a protocol at any time if it isn't working for you.

Re: lancets. It's your decision, what works for you..works for you. I just wanted to let you know there are alternatives.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  14. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I've read through TR and SLGS several times and I am still confused but I think I'll use SLGS. TR seems just like the name says - tight. I know with my work schedule I won't be able to do as many tests a day as it says to do. :(

Idjit's mom and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  15. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I'm looking online and I can't find these...I'm assuming I'm gonna have to go there??

16. Idjit's mom

Probably go there and make sure you are getting just what's in the picture. That's what we ended up doing because DH went to Walgreen's up the street and came home with wrong kind..then I ordered online and ordered wrong thing!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Finally, just went to Walmart, got a box of right kind (although they were 29 gauge and we didn't know the difference then) and didn't use them! Kept them on hand until just recently "just in case" and finally shipped them and the other 1 Unit syringes off to a newer member who needed and could use them.
    Write down exactly what you need so you have reference and you will be prepared.
    The 31 gauge is going to be more comfortable for Quincy for the injections.

17. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Is the main thing I'm looking for 31 gauge and the 3/10ml? I'm asking because I'm scouring the diabetes supply store website and wondering if anything on there will do. The Walmart by my house tends to be sold out of a ton of things so just in case I'm wondering if there is anything on line. I'm not sure what all the numbers mean but I keep seeing 31 gauge .3cc or .5cc and 5/16".

18. Idjit's mom

Did you get a test last night or this morning? It's going to work better for you if you get into the routine of testing before planned injection times, then at least one mid-cycle test..maybe when you get home from work? and/or a before bedtime test. Then Quincy is going to know what to expect going forward. Our kitties are notorious for loving routine, and I find it works better for me too, knowing what I have to do when.

19. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

20. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I didn't last night or this morning but I plan to tonight. This weekend and next week I'll get more into the routine for him. So an AMPS and a PMPS along with one between his afternoon and night meal. If that makes sense. Maybe I should start posting in the Basaglar section? The thing is, his meals are 7am, 430pm, and 9pm. So I was planning to shoot at 7am and 7pm but if needs to eat immediately following the shot, that may not work...

21. Idjit's mom

I like ADWDiabetes and here is an example:
    SureComfort U-100 Insulin Syringes Half Unit 31G 3/10cc 5/16" 100/bx
    Monoject Ultra Comfort U-100 Insulin Syringes 30G 3/10cc 5/16" 100/bx 1/2 unit

visit the website, type in U100 31 G 30 unit syringes 1/2 Unit and a bunch of them are displayed. Of course, with ADW you are going to pay shipping etc. unless you order a certain $ amount, and that might be a whole lot of syringes!

Might check at Walmart first just to see what they have on hand and go from there.

22. Idjit's mom

23. Idjit's mom

Yes, start posting there on the Lantus forum for more experienced help. It's recommended for new users to withhold food for 2 hours before preshot test time, just to see a non-food influenced result. Basaglar does not require food on board immediately before or after an injection, but he does need to be able and willing to eat. Most people test/feed/shoot all within about 10 - 15 minutes.

It's time to take the plunge, darlin', and ask for more experienced insulin help than I can provide. I just don't have the hands on experience that many others do. And..they are a great bunch, you will like them very much.

24. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Well you have been extremely helpful and thank you so much, words can't describe.

25. Idjit's mom

I will be following along, guaranteed. I try to read as many new posts as possible, just seeing how everybody is doing. I try to greet each new member to the board, and hopefully provide basic info, and point in the right directions..kind of like the ancient Walmart greeters we used to see, I fit the description. ;) I like to see the progress and touch base now and then too.

26. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I'll def check at Walmart first! Thank you!

27. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Well again, thank you so much! Feel free to chime in on my other thread! :)

Idjit's mom likes this.
  28. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

.3 uL, 31 gauge -- Walmart should have them, if not they will get them in a couple of days, yes you have to ask for them at pharmacy counter

don't get the .5 uL, they don't have the half unit markings (talking here about the ReliOns at Walmart)
    should be about $12 for 100 .. unlikely to find them cheaper unless bought from private individual or found at thrift store

29. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

That's a great price! I'll ask the pharmacy tomorrow! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.