Hello and thank you for this forum also I need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MihaelaMic, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MihaelaMic

MihaelaMic New Member

Hello, I'm from Roumania and this forum has helped my cat to live till now.Mic was found with diabetes last year end of June,the vet has given Glipizide because his BG was 230 his lipase was a little off so he received diet for pancreatitis Royal canin moderate calorie until 4.09.2018 his BG was 466 and we need to let him to the vet to make a curve and to receive insulin we changed the diet for diabetes.I found this forum after I searched to understand what is diabetes and what to do for my cat because the vet did not explain and also did not encourage me to do at home blood tests, after I begin to read here and reread every night,I managed to do home testing and my husband to make the insulin.At the end of december I begged the vet to make more test because even tough the BG was good 119 he was off and seemed in pain and because I have read here allot I told him what test to do to exclude some disease but they found that he have IBD,stomach spasms and EPI so I begin to search again so I can help my cat because the pills from the vet contains sugar,I'm making homemade kefirfor IBD everyday form 23.12.2018 also I have found some good pancreatic enzymes for EPI and he seemed better his BG dropping 0.5 unit caninsulin at 12hours.In february we managed to do more blood test at another lab in another town,because our vet can't make all the tests the results was good.Today he receives pancreatic enzymes,LC vet,ranitidine 3 times a day,insulin and kefir. Tree weeks ago he started drooling when I make the blood test, we are doing the test at night one hour before the insulin because he is stressed,one week ago his BG begin to rise so we give something for spasms and he eliminates hairballs everyday his BG drops for 2 days from 290 to 224,but yesterday was 330 today we have given NO-Spa for spasms and will see.They only give us the injection for spasms because we need to go to the vet and let him there for injections with opiates.My cat is eating his food he doesn't drink water but is drinking kefir but he seems to have a flare up from pancreatitis and I don't know what to do,what tests to do to see if I can make something so he can stay longer with us and in good shape.I do not want to let him stay in the hospital because is stressing him to much.We have 7 cats saved from the streets we love all of them,we are working from home and I'm with him all the time and is hard to think that I can do nothing for him.Thank you for reading,thank you for this forum and for all the help provided here,I'm glad that I found the forum because Mic is alive and we spent good moments with him thanks to all of you.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If anyone is wondering Roumania is not a typo, just another way to spell Romania.
    Mihaela, when you say Kefirfor do you mean the milk/yogurt? It's what we call Kefir here.
    We can help you with IBD, pancreatitis and home testing. Sorry I can't be of more help today.
    We have members in the UK and Spain but most are in North America.
    There is a 7 to 10 hour time difference.
    Welcome to our group, greetings from Canada. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Reason for edit: time difference
    Margie and Jackson likes this.
  3. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

When my cat had a pancreatitis flare up, the vet gave us metronidazole which helped immediately. This is a mild antibiotic with an anti-inflammatory effect. I also gave him forti -flora which is a probiotic that is rather expensive, but cats love the taste. Good luck with the kefir, that’s a new idea to me, let us know how it goes. Thank you for helping so many cats, good luck!

4. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Also, it can take some time for blood sugar levels to stabilize. Maybe as kitty gets better they will go down. Please don’t worry too much it sounds like you’re working very hard for Mic.

5. MihaelaMic

MihaelaMic New Member

Yes kefir is a type of yogurt and Mic is feeling better he is drinking from 5 months already.It contains allot of vitamins B12, B6 and B9 also is a natural probiotic.I give him kefir because I don't need to force him to eat.
    Thank you for your welcoming :)

6. MihaelaMic

MihaelaMic New Member

Hi, with kefir is very good for Mic because I don't force him also kefir is a natural probiotic witch contains allot of vitamins B12,B6,B9 I guess it helped him with the electrolytic balance and hydration.
    I'll ask the vet about metronidazole,thanks.
    Well we love animals we also have 11 dogs from the street and 2 parrots from one basement,but from last year we have decided that is better to donate because we suffer when the time to say good bay is here.

7. MihaelaMic

MihaelaMic New Member

Yes I want to make all I can as a human for him because I see him as family,also I feel guilty because I was to stressed with work and haven't see in time that he is not ok.
    Thank you for your support :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.