Hello. Brand new here and hypoglycemia last night.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Khamet's Mom, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khamet's Mom

Khamet's Mom New Member

I have a 9-year-old furball named Khamet, who was diagnosed in August. After a great deal of back and forth with my vet yesterday resulting in my frustration and doubt of his expertise, I went and purchased a meter (which I just now realize I should have done long before now).

Khamet details:
    9-years-old
    Diagnosed Aug 2017
    Formerly 19 lbs, but now 15 (since August which I think is too much too quickly)
    Vet Current Protocol is 0.5 units of Vetsulin twice daily
    3/4 can of Royal Canin Calorie Control 5.8 oz cans, twice daily.

Originally my vet recommended 1 unit of vetsulin twice daily but that turned out be too high (though he questioned my ability to properly draw up a syringe...hello, chemist here). He then recommended 1/2 and that is what we have been doing without monitoring his levels (which now seems very irresponsible). He's lost a fair bit of weight and originally the vet had suggested that after his weight came down we might be able to control his diabetes with diet alone. In October, he went in for another follow up and fructosamine levels were checked. His numbers came back on the low side of normal (I found out yesterday). I called the vet yesterday and asked him for a weight check and if it would be appropriate to run a new blood glucose curve at this point and he shot me down and said they would just check his fructosamine. This is the short version of the conversation. There was a lot of back and forth between me and the receptionists and technicians before I could get the actual doctor on the phone so that he could understand what I was asking. It was like an elaborate childs game of telephone where the message passes through so many people that it's totally garbled by the end.

So last night I purchased a meter (Relion Micro) and checked his levels and he was at 34. This was three hours after his 0.5 units of vetsulin and 3/4 can of dinner. I gave him a quarter can of food and 1/2 tsp of corn syrup. I checked him again about 20 minutes later and the numbers had come up to 64. I gave him another 1/4 of a can and checked him again 30 minutes later. He had dropped to 59. I fed him another 1/4 can with a few drops of corn syrup and waited another 30. At that point he was at 49. Repeated previous procedure and he came up to 69. 30 minutes later with no additional food he was 109 and another hour later without food he was 91. It was 2 AM and I went to bed.

Through all of this he showed no symptoms of hypoglycemia which is quite frustrating. Having never checked, I wonder how long he's been in this situation and I NEVER knew.

This morning, he came in bright and early with the 6:30 alarm ready for his breakfast. His blood sugar was 69 and so I fed him without insulin. 3 hours later he is at 63. As an aside, I've measured my non-diabetic little dude out of curiosity this morning and he's at 64.

If you've made it this far, bless you! I've got tons of reading to do and am happy to hear any comments, suggestions or even criticism. But be gentle please. I was ignorant, but I'm trying hard to remedy that.

Many thanks.

2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Well if he can keep those great numbers he’d be in remission. Way to go! If he were my cat I wouldn’t want him going below 50 tho.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Wow! He might well be a diet controlled diabetic. Hurray for you getting a meter and taking on the testing. There's a lot that vets don't know about treating FD. People end up here because they want to take control and do it better so well done you!

One thing: it's best to keep a diet controlled diabetic on low carb food all the time. If your kitty goes out at night there's a chance he could get into some contraband. Or did I misunderstand your comment about him coming in bright and early?

Noah & me (GA) and Juliet like this.
  4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, what I wouldn't pay for those numbers! I would say he is in remission.

Jones never shows he is going low except he gets really cold. That is the only sign really - so I always am checking him to see if his body or ears are cold.

5. Khamet's Mom

Khamet's Mom New Member

Thank you Tracey. I wasn't very clear. He likes to come into my room in the morning and announce that it is time for breakfast to be served. I think he's convinced I'll forget to feed him otherwise. He's a monster. He used to walk on my face to let me know. At 19 lbs, that's pretty uncomfortable. :cat:

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Mine does the same but he’s taken to sharing the pillow. He has top half while I’m on the bottom half. He’s there for some time before I wake up. I wake to find him sniffing my hair. Or trying to eat it!

Critter Mom, Sylvie and Khamet's Mom like this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight, you're a chemist and your vet doesn't think you can use a syringe?
    I think you might have what is known as "A little miracle cat" and that is a completely positive remark. You didn't do anything wrong, you were just told otherwise and being here means you care.
    Not like those wankers that drive on the wrong side of the road. Pass the haggis!

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

My one civvie does that. Stands at the door and meows. Then gets up on the bed and sit by the pillow and does these little meows. The time change really screwed her up.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Mine lies on top of me, regardless of whatever position I am sleeping in, and when I haven't gotten up in the amount of time he seems to think is appropriate, the little paw comes out and starts pat-pat-patting my face!:cat:

Sounds like Khamet is in remission, congratulations! Just remember to do occasional spot-checks to make sure he stays in remission.;)

Juliet likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Teresa!! Glad to see you over here from the Facebook group!!

What a night last night, huh?? So happy you got that meter!!!

Looks like Khamet might just be done with the juice!! :D:D:D

11. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Wow, the BG numbers are, to say the least, are very impressive! Hopefull he is the one food control diabetics!
    It might worth its while to keep checking his BG daily thou - take a test at what would be his pre-shot time and then + 2 or 3 hours later after food and keep recording.
    (touching the wood) - he won't need insulin at all!!!:woot:

Khamet's Mom likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good on you for trusting your instincts and getting a meter.:)

Our definition of remission is two weeks in normal numbers without insulin. Looking good on day 1.

Critter Mom and Khamet's Mom like this.
  13. Khamet's Mom

Khamet's Mom New Member

It sure was exciting last night. Here's to a more restful one tonight.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  14. Khamet's Mom

Khamet's Mom New Member

Yes, I'm going to be tracking him very closely for awhile. I'm a little scarred from last night! He doesn't seem to mind the extra attention and cuddles though.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

and food....don't forget the food!!!.....LOL

Khamet's Mom likes this.
  16. Khamet's Mom

Khamet's Mom New Member

Absolutely. That's probably his favorite part. He follows me everytime it looks like I might be going close to the kitchen.

17. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

found you.... I'll start watching....

So glad you came over here where you can get much better advice.

Khamet's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.