Hello! Diagnosed for a little while and learning patiently.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sasha & Maximus, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha & Maximus

Sasha & Maximus Member

Hi everyone! I'm Sasha and my sweet diabetic buddy is Maximus. He is 16 and been diagnosed since sometime in November. The vet put him on Lantus and we are up to giving him 5 units twice a day and are trying not to feel frustrated with the numbers bouncing around and not settling anywhere. The good news is we do home test now, we have an AlphaTrak, and he's eating nothing but wet food. We have been feeding him Hill's W/D but have been reading up on Tight Regulation and are hoping to change that to more affordable food that does the job. We tried our first can of fancy feast classics (chicken) yesterday afternoon and were shocked with the glucose level at 750 this morning so my husband is automatically assuming that did it. He's been losing weight so we are feeding him more now in hopes he'll put some back on. I'm looking forward to learning from y'all and hoping to help get my buddy in a good place!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Lantus is a good insulin but 5 units is a high dose
    It is good that yo are home testing. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    The spreadsheet allows us here to see what is happening.
    WD canned is relatively high in carbs. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned. I do not think the Fancy Feast is the reason for the high BG

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sasha and welcome.

Will post a reply on your Feline Health thread.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.