? Hello, dosing question based on SS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sam & Esse, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

Hello,

I'm Esse, and my big boy is Sam. This is Sam's 9th day on Prozinc -- and I'm baffled by his BG numbers. I don't have a lot of information in his SS yet. His prescribed dose is 2u BID -- which I never gave him. We've been doing .5u BID as best as I can eyeball it; the half-unit syringes should be here Friday. His numbers the last few days have been higher than I'm comfortable with, and his BG appears to be higher during what should be his nadir than it is for his preshots. I increased his AM dose to .75u today, but now I'm thinking I should have gone the other way. I'm not sure what I should do this evening, other than set my alarm to try for a +3 reading to see if he's dipping too low?

Sammi is confusing me so much :confused:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think the 405 on 10/24 was probably a bounce from him getting down lower than he is used to during the night of 10/23. After a bounce, the numbers tend to stay fairly high and flat for a period of time which is what happened. You are doing great on the testing, but it would be helpful if you could start getting more mid-cycle tests.. you only have one ever for evening. I would probably stay at .50 am and pm for a few days to see what happens. You have already had a few pre-shot numbers too low to shoot and fairly big differences in pre-shot test results, so it seems to me that the dose may have been a bit high and/or was adjusted (though very slightly) a little too often too soon. I find that how Mia responds to a dose changes after she has been on it a few/several days. She is a bouncer, so I find it best to be very patient with dosing changes to give her body time to adjust gradually.

Maybe you could do a curve one day this weekend to fully see how he is responding to .50 after being on it for several days consistently. Then, you could decide whether or not a dose change is in order.

Sam & Esse likes this.
  3. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

Thank you :) I'll go ahead and set my alarm to get a +3 or +4 reading tonight, then try for a different time tomorrow night. I had a suspicion he might be bouncing; I try to draw an even .5, but with my eyesight I don't think I manage very often. I'll be so glad when the new syringes arrive.

I have plans of doing his first curve as soon as I have a day or two where it looks like he might be partially settled. I would so very much like to see the happy Prozinc smile curve :joyful:

4. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

It doesn't seem like Sammi and me are making much progress. I upped his dose to .75u yesterday AM, which showed at least a little dip at nadir. Not as much downward movement today. I meant to get a BG test in last night, but a neighbor's party kept Sam in hiding. I have to get one tonight :( I'm not sure if I should continue with the .75u through tomorrow, or perhaps increase to 1.0u depending on how his next PMPS and AMPS look (along with tonight's PM +6 which I *will* get).

Sam was diagnosed when I took him in for weight loss and severely impaired appetite. I'm afraid his beginning, good-looking BGs were because there was almost nothing in his system. Now, his eating's almost back to what it should be -- albeit all canned and low carb. So I'm not sure if I should blame his eating or the insulin for his rising #s; all I know is I want to blame something that isn't me or Sam ;)

Any thoughts? Right now it seems I'm making decisions morning to morning.

5. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

I went ahead and gave 1u this morning since I'm around today to keep an eye on him. I'm also considering putting a call in to the company that makes Prozinc, see if the lab tech dropping his vial could have affected the insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.