Hello everyone. I really need help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by noahbaby, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noahbaby

noahbaby New Member

my cat Noah has been on Levemir for almost a month now and his blood sugar does come down quite a bit slowly within 5-7 hours but starts to rise very quickly. By the time 8-12 hours are up he's back up at 21-25! Today I checked his blood sugar and it was 21 after 5 hours of giving him his insulin shot.
    My question is, can I give him a rapid acting insulin like novo rapid or lispro during a meal or is that dangerous?

He weighs 15 pounds and I'm giving him 2-3 units of Levemir every 12 hours. Should I be giving him more? He's on wet food only.
    He also used to be on canansulin which did nothing for him. I did curve readings and it was like giving him water through a needle. I had to fire my vet and take things into my own hands since the vet didn't want to switch him to a different type of insulin, and I slowly watched my cat waste away to a skeleton and watch his hind legs drop to the ground. It was heart breaking. :( My ultimate fear is he will go blind.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Noah. Great that you are home testing. If you can set up a spreadsheet it will help us to see Noah's pattern and be better able to help you with dosing. Here are instructions
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you need help, just ask and someone will do it for you. Levemir is a great insulin and I'm sure we will be able to help you to help Noah. Check out the stickies in the Lantus/Levemir Forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Typically, you work with just 1 long acting insulin unless you have identified a high dose condition.

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter general location (city and state/province) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

the answer to your question about the short acting insulins is that it would be best ( and safest) for you to get a spreadsheet going.
    There are some here who can help you do that if you are technically challenged.....
    so ask if that's the case.....we'll tag someone....

You need some data first....
    and we request that someone with experience with those insulins come give you advice.
    We have quite a few who have had to do that.....

It would be dangerous for you to do so without that guidance..... blood sugar can drop too low very quickly.....

I'm glad you have a new vet.....

Are you giving him methylcobalamin for his neuropathy?
    That will help his legs....

many here use zobaline
    there is lots of info on the page that tells you about neuropathy in his legs....

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I agree that a spreadsheet or similar is needed to display how Noah is responding to insulin. Current information and information will previous doses are really necessary so we can see how Noah responds to Levemir.
    I myself give my Badger about 0.2 units N i addition to his about 0.7 units Levemir since he get big BG spik due to food.

6. noahbaby

noahbaby New Member

Thank you so much I will get started on the spreadsheet as soon as possible!

7. Sharon14

Great! If you need help, just ask and someone will do it for you.

8. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Nice seeing you here, you're at the right place for help and support from those in similar
    condition as your cat is. Building up spread sheet seems quite job but if you go back to previous
    logs you can find in your meter you'll do it pretty quickly. It's essential if you want to know
    what does and doesn't work and if it's time to ask you vet if a switch of type of insulin is
    better to help your cat. There is ways to manage fd (feline diabetes) according to your schedule
    and how you want to get involved (or let the job done by your vet).

Browse around spread sheet at the bottom of members, you'll see how nice it is. Never try
    to mimic dosage, ECID (each cat is different). Those who know what to look will answer
    your questions, with sufficient data and description of what's going on.

One thing at the time.

1 : Signature like those you see at the bottom of each members (easy)
    2 : Easy to built and post SS (and very nice), we'll help you to post (easy)

See you soon !

9. noahbaby

noahbaby New Member

I tried to get a spreadsheet going but it doesn't seem to work on my iPad. I found the link on google and downloaded the app, could someone email me the spreadsheet template? My gmail is : kate.8469210@gmail.com btw I'm testing at every 3, 5, 7, 10,12 hours. And it's not coming down. It's staying in the 18-24 zone. Very high! Should I try 4 units? He also seems a bit short of breath Sometimes. He gives me big sighs and can't really meow very loud. Could it be low potassium? I have Humulin N in the fridge as this was one of the insulins the pharmacist recommended. Could I try giving him that instead? I'm just in tears right now.

Thank you!

10. Sharon14

Hi Kate, I couldn't set up the SS either. I'll tag @Marje and Gracie to help you. Then you may want to post on Health or in the Lantus & Levemir forum for dosing advice.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Kate

I'll send you a private message and do the SS for you but if you look at the directions, the templates are linked within.....just for future reference. Check your inbox by clicking on "inbox" in upper right corner and I'll send you a message with the info I need to do the SS. I can set it up quickly for you so we can help you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.