Hello, Everyone! Please meet my Sake =^.^=

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jerzgrrrl72, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Hi, Everyone,

I recently found out that my almost-15 yr old cat, Sake has diabetes. Over the past year, she started drinking a lot of water, and peeing ALL the time in her litterbox--so much so, that cleaning the box was next to impossible because the clumping litter would become so clay-like. About 6 months ago, she started losing a lot of weight and her coat became really flaky, and dry. I knew I needed to take her to the vet, but I also knew it was going to be another $200+ visit, and I couldn't afford to do it until my tax refund got here. I felt like the worst pet Mom ever having to wait so long like that, and unknowingly keeping her on her Royal Canin US/O (dry) for so long, but there really wasn't anything I could do at the time. :( Anyway, I really thought they were going to tell me that she had hyperthyroidism or kidney disease, and was shocked to find out she was diabetic. After reading posts on here, and other places online, I had already switched her to wet food about 2 weeks before the appointment, and could already see a change in her. I thought for sure because of her age, they were going to tell me her kidneys were bad, and her teeth, etc, but EVERYTHING else came back perfect! She's already doing really well on her insulin, and LOVES all of the high protein/low carb wet food. Dare I say, I'm confident she may actually go into remission pretty soon... :cat:

The left side was taken in Dec, when she was still really skinny and not doing well. The right side was taken just over a week ago. I can't believe the difference!
    20180323_114932-COLLAGE.jpg

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm glad things are going well for Sake.

3. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Thank you, FurBabiesMama!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good thinking getting her on wet food. Males a big difference. Are you from nj?

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome!! A good news story for sure. :smuggrin: Is there anything we can help you with?

6. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Thank you! I'm currently in NC, but I grew up in Westfield, NJ. Exit 135 GSP, Represent!:D What part of NJ are you from?

7. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Thank you! I actually already posted something in the General Feline Health forum re: insulin reduction symptoms because Sake is doing so well, that she went from 318 to 93 after a week on insulin. So the Vet reduced her dosage to 2U every 24 hrs, instead of the 2U every 12 hrs that she was taking. She was acting a bit strange that first day, so I just wanted to check to see if this had happened to anyone else after having their insulin reduced.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh! I work near there in Kenilworth but I live in North Arlington. :)Exit 145 and 15w. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.