Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lyndsey, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndsey

Lyndsey New Member

Hello!

I am new to the world of cat diabetes.

My baby boy Jango (2) was diagnosed Monday after experiencing major complications from undiagnosed diabetes.

I rushed him to the vet after he started to vomit and wasnt using his litter box. He was trying to go and nothing was happening. My other male cat, Pancake, was blocked just before Christmas and I thought it was the same issue.

Turns out he had an impacted bowel, his sugar was over 500, and he had diabetic kedoacodosis!

After 3 days at the vet and another hefty vet bill later (still trying to pay the bill from my blocked cat) he is home.

Currently he gets Novalin N 2x a day. We aren't testing his sugar yet, and the vet didn't want to change his diet yet. He gets 1/2 can wet food in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. with dry food since I have 2 other cats. I don't know how on earth I will be able to feed (or afford to feed) 2 cats prescription foods while one gets normal food while managing to keep all 3 away from each others meals!

I'm nervous to start this new adventure and any advice would be fantastic!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is our meet and greet forum so please go repost on the main health forum and we can get started. :)

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

you don't have to feed prescription food at all. many of us feed our diabetic cat and other catsnfancy feast classic pates and/or friskies pates, they are quite affordable and most cats like them. you can get a case of variety friskies of 24 5.5oz cans (whitefish/mixed grill/turkey giblets) on chewy for 11.28 right now. 1 1/2 cn per day is usually enough for most cats. we feed that to our non-fancy feast lovers but, i prefer they would eat fancy feast classic poultry pates like the rest do, my cats like the turkey & giblets best and 2-3 cans per cat would be enough for most cats. if $$ is an issue the friskies is your best deal, the FF is just a few cents more per, usually 14.50 for a 24 case of 3oz cans of one flavor.. For dry i fed the very non-to-low carb Young again brand and now wysong espigen 90 but, both are pricey (although cats eat a lot less of those so cost evens out some in the end) and given the runny poop issues we keep having every other week/or bag it seems, i can't personally recommend them anymore but, that doesn't mean your cats will not do fine on one of those. there is also dr. elsey clean lean protein dry food 5% carb which haven't seen anyone complain about poop issues with but, it is the priciest for multi-cat homes unless you only feed it in small amounts as one small meal a day like we are now going to try out ourselves.

good luck and welcome to this cat saving forum. my advice is to read all you can here, it really helped me feel pretty confident on what i was about to venture into when i found out my cat had diabetes. Everyone here is pretty helpful too, so if you have questions ask away..

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Most of us do not use 'prescription' foods. There are many other options for high-protein, low-carb wet foods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.