Hello from Alaska.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by 40Below, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40Below

40Below New Member

I need a lot of help. My cat would very much appreciate it. As would I. We just found out that he is diabetic and my vet is pretty horrible. Won’t return my calls for questions and when they do they want me to bring him in for a very expensive visit just to answer what I fell are basic questions. So here we are. Gary my cat is tired of being poked and prodded. I need to get this dialed in ASAP. THANKS!!!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Gary and pet parent. There is a great deal of information here on FDMB as well as a very supportive community.
    I suggest you begin by reading the information on the Home page, "Getting Started" and "Education". It's a start on understanding feline diabetes and your role in treatment. Home testing is advocated here on the board, it's the best way to track your cat's blood sugar level on an immediate basis and allows you to see how a diet change or insulin therapy is affecting your cat, plus a critical tool for keeping your cat safe. If you are not home testing yet and want more information, we can help with that.
    There is also a ton of information in the forums here on the board, about changing the diet for a sugar cat, about the different kinds of insulin, and how to integrate treating your cat's diabetes into your daily life.
    Take a few deep breaths, know that you are going to find the help you need, do some reading. Post in the Main Health forum, let us know if Gary is currently on insulin, what kind, what is the dosage? What does Gary eat, how often? How did the vet determine that Gary is diabetic? Does he have any other health problems, conditions, issues? Again, post on the Main forum so that more members can see and respond, this Intro forum is the welcome mat, and we don't usually advise here. Link to the Main Health forum----> MAIN

3. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome to the club! You've come to a great place for help and support for Gary.

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Welcome and u r in the right place for help and questions

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. My brother and his family live in Fairbanks.

6. Me&Sweetpea

Me&Sweetpea New Member

Hello I am new to the group but I hear what your saying, it is a lot to take in for you to bear, especially with vet visits.
    All I can say, being new to the group as you are, take your time and call around to your neighborhood vets and ask
    about costs before commiting to one for Gary's diabetic needs. With veterinarians, in my opinion, no two are alike and
    you don't have to stay loyal to one if your vet needs have changed. Take care 40below, Melissa in Phoenix, AZ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.