Hello from Amy & Bella

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by amylynne2, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amylynne2

amylynne2 New Member

Hi there! My name's Amy and my 14-year-old cat Bella brings me here today. I adopted Bella from a shelter, along with her sister Isa, when they were 4 months old. Bella has had a variety of health issues through her life...bladder stones, heart murmur, inflammatory bowel disease, bouts of pancreatitis...and now, diabetes. She had surgery 7 years ago to remove bladder stones and confirm IBD (they were quite concerned she had feline leukemia instead). She's been on Budesonide since then to keep her IBD under control, and was also put on a prescription diet. She was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago and we've been trying to manage it with a diet change. Unfortunately, her diabetes has progressed significantly since then, especially within the past few weeks. She will be starting insulin treatment so I started doing some research online. Found the Diabetic Cats in Need page on Facebook, and they pointed me here. This is all very overwhelming to start...I just want Bella to be comfortable, but to also be smart about finding cost-effective treatments. So thankful to find this resource!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, welcome to you and Bella! We have many members with kitties that have both IBD and diabetes that can help you with food and supplement suggestions. Do you know what insulin you will be using? Will you be home testing Bella’s glucose levels? It’s easy to do and the best way to keep her safe and see how well the insulin is working. There’s a lot to learn, but it gets easier and you’re in the right place for loads of info! Ask any questions you have in the Main Health Forum where there are more eyes to see and help.

amylynne2 likes this.
  3. amylynne2

amylynne2 New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome! She has been prescribed Glargine insulin - currently exploring options for purchasing it. Will definitely be testing at home and heading to Walmart to get those supplies this weekend. I'll certainly read through the Main Health Forum for more info!

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glargine is Lantus, an excellent insulin. You will find lots of info in the stickies in the Lantus Forum. Many here get their Lantus from Canada where it is much cheaper.
    HERES the link to the pharmacy we use.

ETA The LANTUS FORUM

amylynne2 likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy and "extra sweet" Bella! Welcome to the FDMB!!

I'm the one who was talking to you from DCIN.....I'm glad you made it here and are posting!

Remember what I told you....there's an overwhelming amount of information here, but just take one step at a time and you'll do great...and the people here will be there to help you every step of the way!!

amylynne2 likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Bella! :cat:

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

amylynne2 likes this.
  8. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

With regards to cost-saving measures, it would be good for us to know what country you are in so that we can give you appropriate options for your locale. I _assume_ it is likely the U.S. since you mentioned Wal-Mart, but that may not be true.

Welcome to the group!
    Sandi&Whisper.

amylynne2 likes this.
  9. amylynne2

amylynne2 New Member

Hello again! Yes, we are in the US. I'll read the instructions on adding a signature so that info will be readily available :)

Just ordered the Lantus pens, and will be heading to Walmart this week for the other supplies. I really appreciate this community and all of the info! So helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.