Hello from Arkansas

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debbie in Arkansas, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie in Arkansas

Debbie in Arkansas Member

My name is Debbie and I have a 15 yr old cat Luke who I am almost sure is diabetic. I am feeling very overwhelmed and stressed out right now even though he is my second diabetic cat. His litter mate Bo was diabetic for the last year of his life. I don't feel that I did enough to help Bo. I was told at the vet that there was no way for me to check is blood sugar. He was on Novolin which I now know is not a good insulin for cats. Luke also has asthma and has been on prednisolone for several months. I have been watching him close for signs of diabetes and have seen some in the past few weeks. I got some keto-diastix and have tested his urine. It shows no ketones but the glucose square turns between the two darkest browns. I bought a Reli On meter but it says on the box I have to get control solution. I will be getting him to the vet as soon as I can.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie, welcome to you and Luke. Great that you’ve checked for ketones! As far as control solution, it’s a good idea to get some, (just call the phone number in the instruction manual and they’ll send it to you) but you can go ahead and start testing in the meantime. I think I was 6 months into testing before I even knew the stuff existed! We have several kitties here that have both asthma and diabetes, so if you post in the Main Health Forum and put both conditions in your title, more people will see and help.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

don't worry too much about the control solution. I'm so glad you are going to be testing. It's really the only way to know if you have the right dose and to keep him safe.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

Make sure to have an extra box of test strips and a box of 28 gauge lancets as the ones that come with the meter are very thin.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Debbie and Luke!

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Almost the same story here, Nigel was our first and was Noah's littermate except that we were encouraged to test. Two different vets I guess. I wish Nigel was here now and that I'd found this place back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.