Hello from Arthur and I

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Winston, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston

Winston New Member

Hello everyone!

I’m from Quebec Canada so my English might not be perfect..

Thank you for accepting my request to join this group!

I have been reading a lot on feline diabetes and I’m starting to understand the routine and everything thats comes with it.

So I have a cat named Arthur which has been diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago. The start was rough.. shaking while giving insulin, daily mental breakdown and such. Things now have been better as Arthur is getting used to the routine. He is currently 7.5 YO and weight around 12pounds. He is currently on Lanctus insulin with 1.5U twice a day. (Started @ 1U). Things were not going well number wise so the vet suggested 1.5U. When He was initially diagnosed, he was on hypoallergenic Royal canin dry food. Got switched to the canned one but after a lot of research I have found that it was still a very high carb food. He is now on Weruva Paw’s licking Chicken (which he likes, almost a bit too much) and his number has decreased a bit since.I have been hometesting at least twice a day since his diagnostic day and did 2-3 curves already (asked by the vet) since we were trying to adjust his dose correctly.

Arthur has a tendencies to go back and forth between 6-7ish to 20-22ish mmol/L.
    I will make a spreadsheet when I get home so you guys can see what progress has been made so far! I also use the alphatrack glycometer.

Other than that, Arthur is in a much better shape (physically and mentally) than before. The past days he’s been around 6-14mmol/L so I hope he doesnt skyrocket again to 20+ like he used to.

I don’t know if I’ve put all the necessary info so far but let me know if you have any questions or important informations that would be useful to help him.

Thank you again for accepting this and I hope we can get Arthur back on track again!

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Welcome to you and Arthur! It sounds like you are doing an awesome job so far :cat:

Here is the link to the lantus forum. If you read the posts with the yellow sticky notes at the top of the page, they have lots of good info about how lantus works. And once you get the spreadsheet set up, you can post there if you need some advice about his dose!

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Please ask any questions you may have, either on the main forum for general advice or on the lantus forum. Everyone here is very helpful!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Winston and Arthur to FDMB. You have already started out wonderfully with Arthur, going to the lower carb diet, home testing and getting educated about dosing the insulin.

Please create a signature for Arthur so his pertinent information is available each time you post:

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using/glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    When you set up the signature and then the spreadsheet, it's very helpful to put the spreadsheet link (eg. Arthur's SS) at the very end of the signature.
    The instructions tell you how to create a text link (the URL spreadsheet links can be very long and take up a lot of room and signature space is limited).

Here are the Spreadsheet instructions and How to understand the spreadsheet grid links:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Sarah has directed you to the Lantus forum so that you can read about how Lantus works, and get help with dosing questions or concerns. You can post on the Main Health forum with more general questions or concerns about diet, testing etc.

I am looking forward to a picture of Arthur as your avatar, and getting to know you both. :cat:

Whoops, there's that picture! He's a cutie fur sure, sending a chin scritch and a head smooch to Arthur.

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving to you from Ontario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.