Hello from Bleu FIV+ Diabetic Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tami And Bleu ^..^, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tami And Bleu ^..^

Tami And Bleu ^..^ New Member

Myname is Bleu. I'm the fur baby of my humom Tami. We were just diagnosed with DM. I'm between 16-20 years of age and FIV Positive. I've lived in my forever home for 14 wonderful years. I love to greet everyone at the door and survey the yard for new cats from the screened porch. I used to be big and strong but this disease has made me weaker, skinnier (my humom would love that for herself) Meow Meow! And I'm losing my hair (my humom would not like that) and I'm really thirsty and hungry. Mom took me to the vet today to find out what was happening to me. My spirits seemed down she said. And she told the vet I would just sit in front of the water and food bowls most of the day ( well that is true). The vet "Dr Jason" is awesome. I don't mind seeing him because he talks softly and handles me gently. He ran tests and found sugar in my urine and my blood glucose was 586. Everything else was good except of course the chemistries that get affected by this disease. Even though I'm old I have a lot of life left in me. I love my humom and sleep as close to her as I can. I live with a bunch of other fur kids too. I like everyone. The young ones tend to irritate me with their shenanigans but I used to be like that too. I miss playing like I used to. My humom came here to see if there is some help for us. We don't know anything about DM in cats but she is a licensed Medical Lab Technologist and experienced feline caretaker who knows about diabetes. But we need help with understanding supplies, food, insulin with my FIV status and more. I know you will love me......my name is Bleu....that is not Blue. meow Meow. Thank you for allowing us in. image.jpg

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Bleu and (humom) Tami, it's lovely to meet you, and welcome to FDMB :bighug:

(Bleu, it sounds like you have a wonderful loving caregiver.)

Tami,
    Has Bleu started on insulin yet? And if so, could you tell us which insulin and what dose?
    And what is Bleu eating at the moment; dry food, wet food?
    Would you be willling to learn to test Bleu's blood glucose at home? This shouldn't hurt him at all, and would really help you to manage his diabetes.

I have no experience of FIV in kitties, but I expect there will be others here who have.

Welcome aboard!

Eliz

3. Tami And Bleu ^..^

Thanks Eliz,
    Bleu was just diagnosed yesterday. I have to pick up insulin at pharmacy. Dr wrote script for Humulin N 1 unit twice daily. When Bleu feels could I cant restrain him so getting blood from his paw may be difficult. I've decided to do the urine dipstick test for glucose. He had a little infection (cold) so he received a shot of Convenia yesterday. They also gave him fluids. He's now moving around quicker and spirits improved but I know the fluids helped. He is laying next to me as I write this. I've read here that the Humulin N is not the best choice so I was going to call vet this morning to see about getting script for Vetsulin to send to vet pharmacy instead. However, it's important to start him today so do you think it's bad to start on Humulin and switch to Vetsulin? I have to work out of town two days this week and have a pet sitter who is experienced with pet care, Meds and injections and fluids. I know how and have given fluids to other pets. My pet sitter does too. I have fluids and needles here. Dr. Also wanted him to be on Hills WD or the diabetic food but it cost a fortune. What do you suggest? He likes both. Bleu also loves dry food but has major dental issues so he's not been wanting much lately. I buy Purina One Indoor formula. And he gets those temptation treats. he weighs 8 lbs now? What's the best supplies store and what type of syringes and needles and test strips are best? I know it's a lot of info. Let me know ok. Thanks so much. I'm glad I found this board. I hope someone here also knows about FIV Diabetic cat care too. I'm sure it will make a difference. We are scheduled to see vet for level check next Friday.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Wait!!!! Don't get the Humulin N - it generally lasts only 6-8 hours in the cat.
    Ask your vet to prescribe one of these: BCP PZI, or ProZinc, or the human insulins Lantus, or Levemir. (in order of upfront cost, not cost per unit, which is the ideal comparison)
    And while you wait to get on insulin, a food change to low carb over the counter food may drop the glucose 100-200 mg/dL.
    Go to Cat Info for more feline nutrition information and a downloadable food chart. (I feed Friskies pates.)

5. Tami And Bleu ^..^

I read that here. I will send him a request from one of the stores online that sell another brand. I called the vet about it this morning. What are the thoughts on natural control with Diabetes Gold? I'm reading through all the site material. Thanks for the great info.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I would want to see double-blinded research studies to show that Diabetes Gold was actually effective... and I haven't.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Tami,
    It might be worth editing the subject line of your first post to include 'FIV' in order to attract attention of those with specific experience. If you look up at the top right hand corner of your first message you'll see a 'thread tools' box. If you click on that you'll get the option to edit your title.

Regarding food, most of us feed ordinary low carb wet/canned food. There's no need to buy prescription foods. The foods will vary depending on where you live. Are you in the USA?

If there is time
    then it can be easier to switch to low carb wet food before starting insulin. That's because lowering the carb content of the diet can reduce the blood glucose levels quite a bit, and an insulin dose that's OK for a cat on a higher carb diet may be too much for a cat on a lower carb diet.
    Once a cat is on insulin we recommend that the carb content of the diet is only reduced if the caregiver can monitor the cat's blood glucose at home, and reduce the insulin dosage accordingly.

Was Bleu tested for ketones? You can test for ketones at home also, using Ketodiastix test strips (they dip into fresh cat's pee :rolleyes:). Crumpling a little plastic food wrap into the litter tray can help to catch a sample.
    There is some helpful info on using Ketodiasix on this page from the Sugarpet website:
    http://www.sugarpet.net/urine.html

Eliz

8. Tami And Bleu ^..^

Wonderful information and suggestions. Never though of using plastic wrap. I'm not sure if they tested for ketones. I agree I probably need to try diet first then if his glucose is still not good we will try insulin. How long should I try a low cab food?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.