Hello from Canada! Need help for my Feline buddy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Justin, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin

Justin Member

Hi there,

I am from Canada and my cat was diagnosed with Diabetes over a year ago, since then we have given him injections and sometimes do home blood check. I guess the help I need is I want to regulate him and get him to be better.
    He is 15yrs old. He is skinny and used to be fat. I feed him Fancy Feast Pate solely. I have been giving him 3 units a day of lantis. During a recent vet visit (for another reason) they suggested a blood curve to see whats going on with him and that maybe I need to give him more insluin but to check him more often..

My questions are many.

How to properly check him with a human meter, and when
    Should I change his food? Maybe the carbs are just too low? He is skin n bones lately. He does not eat well, he seems like he may be stiff.

I feel like I messed up over this year and would like to get him and myself back on track because we feel so bad for him.

Thank you much, great forum

JeffJ likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Justin, welcome! I think his food is ok, maybe he just needs more. Until he gets regulated his body can’t use the food properly and you need to feed extra. Come to the Main Forum and tell us more about your cat and we’ll help you learn how to home test. That will help you get on track to helping your kitty!

beggargirl, Justin and JeffJ like this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome from a fellow Canadian! :)

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Please find 75degree weather attached to this posting - I am in Austin TX.

Sharon is 100% right that blood glucose regulation is key to getting a healthy diabetic cat. When we diagnosed Leo 2.75 years ago, it was similar. Basically he was not getting enough insulin to help him process the food. Home testing is key to success. We can help you with that.

Justin likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Member

Thank you all. At current moment he isnt eating properly, he leaves it and doesnt eat sometimes, in a desperate attempt I got a few friskie cans for him, he ate one but not another. I am going to post in main area and hope some of you with more experience than myself can give me some guidance. Thanks again, so wonderful to have a community to go to when needed :)

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I posted lots of info on the main health forum.

Justin likes this.
  7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.