Hello from Canada!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msldhly, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msldhly

msldhly New Member

Hello all,

I'm a Registered Veterinary Technician from Kingston, Ontario, Canada and have an 8.5 year old diabetic DSH tabby named Pekoe! (as well as three other DSH cats, two Golden Retrievers, a mini Rex rabbit, two fancy rats and a TB hamster!)

I adopted my boy in June 2015 from the clinic I was working at so he would not be euthanized as previous owners thought he was diabetic and did not want to diagnose/treat. He was also covered in fleas :(

He is indeed an uncomplicated diabetic and was started on Lantus the same day and has been doing so well since!

He is SUCH a sweet cat and I'm so lucky to have him in my life! :)

Dyana, Sharon14 and Critter Mom like this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Lots here to read. What questions do you have?

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Happy New Year and welcome to FDMB from another Canuck. I'm in Etobicoke in the west end of Toronto, ON. So glad you found us!

It's wonderful that you and Pekoe found each other. He's a cutie and looks like he had a good Christmas! A match made in heaven and meant to be, by the sounds and looks of it!

I'm so happy to hear that Pekoe is an uncomplicated diabetic and doing well. Obviously, as a Reg. Vet Tech you had a leg up on most of us with testing and giving shots and the diabetic routine. I was lucky in this way too because I am a retired R.N. But then dealing with kitty isn't exactly the same as dealing with humans so I still had a bit of a learning curve. Are you using a human or pet meter for monitoring Pekoe? Most folks here are using a human meter and all the reference numbers in the documentation is based on human meter readings except where specifically stated otherwise.

My Menace is a complicated diabetic (IAA positive) and I am still working her up the dosing scale. While I have a wonderful veterinarian that I love, she has never had a patient with IAA so I have found the information and support on this board a priceless addition to my vet's guidance. It's a wonderful community, full of very friendly folks from around the world. There is years of hands on experience here so there is always help available should you need it whether it's a question or concern or just some emotional support. Without this board, I'm not sure I would have ever summoned the courage to give my girl such large doses of insulin!

At the bottom of our messages you will see some smaller grey type and usually a blue link. This is what we refer to as our signatures. We put info like our names, location and details about our cats, like meter type, insulin used, diet, age, weight, any other health issues etc. You can share whatever you would like us to know and are comfortable sharing. The blue link takes you to our spreadsheets where we log our kitty's BG readings.

Looking forward to getting to know you and Pekoe!

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Pekoe's Person, and welcome to you both.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for saving your (very handsome) boy. I think you're wonderful! :cat:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.