Hello from CO

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erla, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erla

Erla New Member

Hi,
    My kitty Cleo was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. So far he is doing great on the low carb food and getting his shots twice a day.

I'm looking for any info on the best and lowest cost to find Lantus Insulin?

2. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Erla likes this.
  4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

5. Erla

Erla New Member

Thanks, No so far I've been taking him in to see the vet. Hoping one more visit and we'll be good for a while

6. Erla

Erla New Member

I'm in Park Hill in Denver

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I live in Westminster, Eria. Let me know if I can help in any way. I have not had a diabetic cat since we moved here but I still am a regular on the forum. So I have no vet recommendations but if I can help in any way, let me know.

8. Erla

Erla New Member

Thank you very much :)

9. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

It is really a good idea to home test and it's less expensive too, not to mention less stressful on kitty. It is imperative to home test if you do switch to a low carb food. Just switching to a low carb food can cause the glucose to drop.

Erla likes this.
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Erla likes this.
  11. Erla

Erla New Member

I will probably have to start doing that once he is stabilized. We have one more appt in about 3 weeks with the Vet, if he is at a good level then the vet said we could wait 6 months for next check up. He is already on the low carb food and we've been doing the insulin for about 7 weeks so far. The vet has been doing the fructose test since that one is more stable and not dependent on how long ago kitty ate etc.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For safety, please do some form of monitoring - urine glucose and ketone testing and water drunk are some of the key things which change with control. Radically reduced thirst and no glucose in the urine could indicate the dose is too high. Too much insulin results in hypoglycemia and that can be fatal.

Here's our link for How to Treat a Hypo

Erla and Anitafrnhamer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.