Hello from Colorado

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ReaAnn & Big Hoss, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a newly diagnosed 13 year old neutered male Flame Point Siamese named Big Hoss. He was just diagnosed last Friday. He's about 17-18 pounds and is on a starting dose of Lantus - 2U 2x a day. The only symptoms he had were lots of drinking and peeing and his initial BG was at 423. So far so he's doing very well, but I'm very nervous about getting him regulated without any catastrophes. We're working on getting his diet changed to all canned low carb, but it'll be a process as he's eaten dry food all of his life and he and my other two cats love it. I just started home BG testing on Saturday. I'm not great at it yet, but I'm not giving up. Any and all advice and good juju sent my way would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now!

Thanks!
    ReaAnn and Big Hoss in Colorado

MrWorfMen's Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad the board let you post this time! Lots of helpful, knowledgeable people here. :). Hoss is ADORABLE. I JUST LOVE big cats. Welcome

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you made it over here and the board cooperated ReaAnn!!

Big Hoss is adorable....and big floofy kitties are my favorite kind too!!!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome ReaAnn, Big Hoss is SO photogenic. He could be a "calendar guy". You have made such a good start with testing and changing the diet. Cheers to you! I look forward to following his treatment progress. I assure you, the testing part gets easier, practice does make a difference. Be sure to reward with a treat whether the test is successful or not, and don't forget your treat too!!
    Would you please create your signature so that Big Hoss's pertinent info is available when you post? Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Here is a link to the FAQ's forum that has information that will be very helpful to you: FAQS It contains some very important information on hypos, how to be prepared and what to do...just in case. Hopefully you will never need that information, but better safe than sorry.
    You can post questions, concerns and issues in the Main Forum, where there are more eyes to see and to get more responses.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.