Hello from CT

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TreeburnerCT, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

[​IMG]
    Hello, my name is Joe and I'm here because my 16 year old cat Amber was just diagnosed with diabetes. She has always been healthy despite having bone spurs on both elbows that have made her permanently limp her whole life and the occasional infected puncture or bite from who knows what (she's an outdoor cat but stays very close to home nowadays). She went to the vet back in December for an infected wound on her neck, but recovered quickly and seemed to be back to her usual self, although right around then we started to notice some changes.

Where she used to drink maybe 3-4oz of water per day, she started drinking at least double if not triple that. She was also peeing a lot all in one go, and the pee seemed stickier than usual. She didn't seem to be acting any different, so we didn't see cause for immediate concern.

However, she has started to lose weight, and the excessive drinking and peeing has continued. Just recently she went from eating all her food to very little for a few days, so I took her to the vet to get checked out.

Turns out she is diabetic, but there was not much else in her blood work to suggest why she stopped eating suddenly. Her white count wasn't raised, but the Vet gave her a "convenient" injection of antibiotics that are supposed to last two weeks with the hope that it clears up whatever was preventing her from eating, as well as an antiemetic.

The antibiotics and antiemetic seem to be working because she has eaten most of her wet food by next meal time which is at least average if not above average for her. The Vet wants to admit her tomorrow to start her on insulin and do a glucose curve, but after doing some research I've decided to take some time off work and get her well myself. She hates riding in the crate to the vet, I would hate to think of her stuck in a crate potentially for days. I may not be experienced doing it, but I'm sure the results will be more accurate than those gained under stressful conditions.

I'm very glad this community is here, thank you all for all you do to help pet owners through a very difficult time.

Thanks,
    Joe

[​IMG]80d-6222 by Joe Eckert, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Reason for edit: Can't get rid of failed image embed at top!
    Magic Johnson and Sean & Rufus like this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Joe and Amber! She’s a very pretty girl, love her coloring. HERES some info to get you started with the hometesting. It’s the best thing you can do to help Amber. Check it out and come to the Main Health forum with any questions you have.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome Joe and Amber to the forum. You certainly know how to make a great first impression with that beautiful picture of Amber. Wow.

Sharon has given you a good starting tip, and recommendation to ask more questions on the Main Health forum.

Many kittehs start out diabetic like Amber. The keys to weight gain and a healthy diabetic kitteh are:
    - regulated blood sugar thru proper insulin doses
    - low carb food
    - BG home testing to ensure the insulin dosage is proper and is achieving the regulation

You can do all of this at home. You can get all of the supplies directly or through mail, even without going to the vet, although many people start there.

4. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Amber is purrrfectly beautiful!!! Welcome!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a striking, beautiful kitty! :smuggrin:

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!!

I love both her and the photo they are both very beautiful!

Please feel free to ask all you want, we suggest you do it in the main health forum because there are more eyes in there. You are off to a great start, better than most of us, and in my opinion the first thing you need to do is start testing her blood glucose at home that will make a world of difference to what ever goes next

7. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

Thank you all for your compliments and support!

-Joe

Magic Johnson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.