Hello from Illinois

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KrisQ, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Hi Everyone - so happy to find this group! My five year old calico was diagnosed on 10/18 with a BG of nearly 500. She had been drinking and peeing a lot more in the last two weeks and then had mostly stopped eating her dry food in the last week - so I knew that something was up. We saw the Vet again today, 10/20, and he prescribed ProZinc at 2U twice a day, and gave us a bag of dry food to along with it... I found Dr. Lisa via Google the day of the diagnosis and knew that dry food was not for us, so I told him to keep it. He also didn't think that it was really necessary to check kitty's glucose level each day but if I wanted to, he was fine with it. Um yes, I'll be checking twice a day once the monitor arrives on Tuesday. I'm not starting the PZ until I get the monitor, which he was fine with.

I switched to canned Halo Spot's Pate the day of the diagnosis and Kitty already seems to be feeling better, so I'll be interested to see what her BG is when I test her on Tuesday night.

I really like this Vet's office as they took really good care of our dog but my goodness, after reading this site for the last few days, I'm thinking that I want a different DVM. I don't suppose any of you have a recommendation in Bloomington Illinois? Anyway, thanks again for being here - y'all are much appreciated!

Laura bb likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Good call skipping the dry food.

KrisQ likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Kris. I'm glad you found the board too! You may not need to find another DVM, if you like them and they are in the local area. Most vets don't get adequate education in animal diabetes, and that may be a little more unbalanced on the side of canine diabetes. Not all their fault. They have so many animals and conditions to learn about and retain. If you read the information here, and it may take more than one reading, ask questions and keep researching you may be able to help your vet learn more about Feline Diabetes and help the next sugar cat. You are quite right, the diet is very important and you are getting on top of that. Home testing is one of the most valuable tools you have to keep kitty safe, and find out how the insulin is affecting the cat. We can help with learning to home test, check out JanetNJ's signature (the grey text beneathe her response to you). She has a video showing how she tests her cat, CC.
    You can review the yellow tagged information threads in the Prozinc forum and get a head start on learning about that insulin and how it works. -----> PROZINC The experienced users in that forum will be happy to help with questions about dosage etc. Depending on what the BG was on diagnosis, and possibly how large your cat is (I am not certain) that dose of 2U twice a day might be too much to start with. Ask the Prozinc users for input.
    There is a treasure trove of information about FD here, on the Home Page and in the various forums. It takes time to gain a real understanding of everything, but I have a feeling you will do very well, considering the informed decisions you have already made. I look forward to following treatment and progress. :cat:

KrisQ likes this.
  4. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Hi to you Kris! I’m in Chicago. Still need to write my intro but wanted to say hi. My girl river was diagnosed on Saturday.

KrisQ likes this.
  5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack thread but Paigeworthy - I live in Chicago (by Wrigley Field) if you need any local help
    I'll send you a PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.