Hello from Jelly Belly!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Grandmasterwhiz, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Hi Everyone!

On June 25th 2015, I took my brothers cat to the vet because she kept using the bathroom outside the litter box. At first the vet thought it could have been just a behavior issue, but to be on the safe side he wanted to run some blood work to rule out anything serious. Test results came back stating Jelly had an infection and was diabetic. I was thrown back, never in a million years did I think diabetes. I was super nervous, and didn't know what to do.

First thing I did, was come home and start doing some research, I came across the Feline Diabetics facebook page, and they immediately told me to take out the message board. I am not going to lie it has been overwhelming, however just in this short period of time, I have found out so much information I never knew before. I have finally gotten comfortable giving Jelly her insulin medication. Since she has been diagnosed Jelly has pretty much adopted me. Here is some of her information.

Jelly is 11 years old. The vet started her at a low dosage of ProZinc of 1 unit 2x daily on June 26th. He told me to keep her on her same diet, and wanted to see if the insulin would work. She had a follow up on July 6th to check her BG and it was still high 313 to be exact, so now she is taking 1.5 units 2x daily.

I had an old glucose meter (since I am diabetic) but couldn't find the strips for it. I have seen that many people use the Reli-on micro. I will be getting it this weekend. I am super nervous on checking Jelly's BG I have been looking at video's online and everyone makes it so easy, even the vet! lol

The vet told me to keep her on her same diet until I can monitor her BG on a regular basis. I never realized how bad dry food was, and all my cats have been solely on dry food. I am super nervous about others becoming diabetic. So this is a lifestyle change for all of them. My question is how do you all recommend feeding them? I was always so use to having food available to them especially when I am out all day.

Like I said this is all new to me, and I want to educate myself that way I can make sure I give Jelly and all my other cats the best care possible.

I am heading out of town for a week this coming week and Jelly will be staying at the vets while I am away, I know they will give her, her insulin on time. So I feel better knowing she will be taken care of. Any information or advice I truly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Elizabeth and Jelly Belly

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Elizabeth, and you came to the right place! We were all nervous about testing the BG in the beginning. It does get easier. At times when Jelly doesn't want to have anything to do with the testing, just tell yourself, you aren't doing this to torture him, but to help keep him safe. Since you are giving insulin already, it is better to wait until you can monitor regularly before switching the food. It can make a HUGE difference in the BG. My cats used to get a 3 ounce can split between three of them twice a day, as more of treat than anything, but years ago, I phased it out, and they have been on only dry for years...until I got Shiloh's diagnosis. No more dry!

What type of infection did Jelly have, and how is it being treated?

Grandmasterwhiz likes this.
  3. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Elizabeth and welcome.

I know what you mean about not knowing about the dry. I had two Siamese who lived to the ripe old age of 19 and 20 on a dry diet, and they were used to eating whenever they wanted, too. If only I'd known - I was lucky that neither of them ever became diabetic, but I wish I had fed them better.

My current three are used to free-feeding as well and I'm out all day. I read at this post about an automatic feeder that can dispense 5 meals a day. And yes it can be used with wet food! Who knew? This might work for your crew.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have 7 cats. All of mine eat Friskies canned food. Pate flavors are usually lower carbs and will be good for all of your cats.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Elizabeth and Jelly Bean,

Your vet is right. Until you are confidently testing at home, it is wise to not make a big food change from dry to wet. Our Oliver went down 100 points overnight when we switched; if we had given him his usual dose, he would have hypoed. And since you are leaving for a week, maybe it is best you concentrate on learning to test for now.

What helped us most was heating the ear with a rice sack until nice and warm, and using a big enough lancet (humans use 30/31 gauge. New diabetics often need a large hole: 25-27 gauge.

There is a protocol we put together for ProZinc in my signature in blue.

7. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Hi Rhonda, so nice to hear from you! So much helpful information. I am glad I found the Feline Diabetes facebook page which highly recommended FDMB. I met this really nice lady who lives close by me that had a glucose meter, lancets, strips and she gave them to me. Her cat had passed and she no longer had use for them. I started testing Jelly last night, when I took her first reading it was 391! I was freaking out! I then gave her insulin which she is at 1.5, twice daily. After giving her insulin I waited a few hours and tested her again before I went to bed and it was at 220.

I woke up this morning and checked her BG it was at 171, so I gave her the morning dosage and fed her solely wet food. I checked her BG a few minutes ago and it was at 97. I am just so confused at what is too low, what is normal. I am making sure she has plenty of water available too.

Jelly is on 1.5, 2 x's daily of ProZinc. :)

8. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I am not familiar with Prozinc, but will see if I can find some who are. When is she due for her next shot?

9. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

This feline diabetes is so new to me! I never thought in a million years that was causing Jelly to use the bathroom on the outside. Now that i know this I am going to be changing all my cats eating habits. I know it will be pricey, but not nearly as expensive if I have multiple cats that are diabetic.

Thank you so much for the information about the automatic feeder I am going to look into that, There are plenty of times that we are out and about all day, and this will definitely come in handy!

10. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

11. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Jelly gets her shots at 8am and 8 pm.

Starting tomorrow she will be staying at the vets for a week while I am out of town, I am going to take all her belongings and hopefully her stay there won't spike up her BG

12. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Can we ask where, generally, you are located, so we know the time zones?

13. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

That is what I started feeding my cats now. How much and often do you feed your cats? I was so use to feeding them throughout the day. I was told to feed Jelly only after giving her shots which was twice a day, and to give her a 3 oz can, is that accurate?

14. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

I am from Houston, Texas

15. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I'm in Florida, so you are about six and a half hours away from her shot?

16. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Thank you for the information about heating the ear. I will definitely try that. It is definitely going to take some time for me to get use too. I just have to tell myself its the best thing for Jelly. Now the meter I am using is the Reli On Confirm it has thin lancets and it does say it uses 30 gauge

I am going to red the protocol for ProZinc right now.

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Generally we tell new diabetics not to shoot under 200'and to intervene and f the cat drops below 50. I would keep testing every 30 minutes until you see a rise in numbers and maybe give him a snack of low carb.

The protocol we put together for ProZinc is in my signature. It'll give you the basics

18. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Yes that is correct. I was little late in giving Jelly her shot this morning. but I have set my alarm now

19. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Sorry, Sue. I didn't see that you had already posted. :)

20. Sue and Oliver (GA)

97 is a nice number, but we are a little concerned that it is coming pretty early in the cycle. Normally ProZinc kitties drop to their lowest point 5-7 hours after the shot. Do I understand that he is only a couple hours after the shot? (Because we live in different time zones, we designate blood glucose levels as +3 for 3 hours after the shot and +5 for 5 hours, etc). Where are you from the shot time?

21. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Sue, my understanding is at this point, she is at about +6.

22. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

when I gave her morning dosage she was at 172. I am not sure if I am feeding her enough. I gave her a half can of the 3oz of wet food. Since the vet was saying she was over eating.

23. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

That is where I am having the confusing, how much should I be feeding her.

24. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Reading the guidelines to ProZinc, and seeing for newbies to shoot for 200, makes me feel better, and now I have a goal to aim for. Plus doing home testing makes me feel better, at least I have something to show the vet, because Jelly has an appointment when I get back from vacation and I don't want him to increase her insulin higher.

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

New diabetics are often literally starving, as their bodies aren't processing the food well. So we think giving a little more than you normally might is okay. My kitty weighs 10 pounds and gets 6 ounces of food daily (2 cans of Fancy Feast). Is Jelly Bean overweight?

Can you get another test to see if she has started to go back up? (So glad you are hometesting!)

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

For reference, we generally think a cat is regulated if they are in the lower 200s at pre shot and in double digits at nadir (for ProZinc around +5-7 hours after the shot) but not below 50, which is approaching hypo territory.

27. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Hello Elizabeth & Jelly Bean & welcome to FDMB!

You are on the right path to getting Jelly Bean healthy. Everyone at FDMB is amazing & will provide you with lots of knowledge. It's all up to you how you apply everything you learn. You are doing a good job & as times goes by you will do even better.
    If you haven't already go over to the Prozinc board & post too. The members there all use Prozinc.

Just ask lots of questions & you will get answers to help. :bighug:

*BTW...hi Sue!!:) (Remember me?...Lol)

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Of course I do, Jenn. Welcome back - great to see you!

29. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Actually Jelly had lost weight before being diagnosed, she weighed 6lbs 2 oz. However a week later after she was diagnosed she gained a few ounces. Doctor was concerned because she had lost weight.

I was out and about doing errands today so after her last reading at noon which it was at 97 I wasn't able to get another BG reading until 8pm. It was 414 so it was time for her insulin so I gave it to her.

30. Grandmasterwhiz

Grandmasterwhiz Member

Thank you so much Jenn, for all you have done for Jelly and I! Its been a very interesting last couple of days. I am hoping and praying I can help Jelly out. I just want her to get into remission and for me about to maintain her levels. Hearing all these stories and reading these post really does give me hope. I will definitely post on the ProZinc board as well. Thanks!

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It looks like she might have bounced. That happens when her body preceives a blood glucose level that is lower than it is used to and it releases extra glucose. That 97 (or a lower number before or after that) is probably lower than she has been in a long time. The more often she drops in lower ranges and gets used to them, the less she should bounce.

So, if you get a number under 200 for a preshot, stall. Wait 20 minutes, without feeding (which raises the levels) and retest. You want to make sure the number is rising, not falling and above 200.

When you can, it is really helpful if you start collecting your numbers in our spreadsheet. It's a great tool for you, your vet and us, when you need dosing advice.

The directions are here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

If you need help, just ask.

32. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Hi Sue, I don't know about being back..lol. I've been trying to help Elizabeth & Jelly Bean, but been out of this game since Baxter died 2 yrs now. I know she will get so much more help here on the board. I met her over on Facebook & she doesn't live to far from me. Yesterday, I gave her Baxter's monitor (made me a little sad, but happy to help another cat) so she could start home testing. It looks like she is doing a really good job!!

Grandmasterwhiz and Brashworks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.