Hello from Karo and Katie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kayteacat, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayteacat

kayteacat New Member

Hello,
    I am Katie and my little bestfriend Karo (age 12) on 6/13/17 was diagnosed with diabetes, which doesn't come as a shock..
    I found Karo and his sisters abandoned in my garage a very hot summer day. The mom cat (I dubbed "The Factory", for good reason) had done this once before with my sisters cats, so I knew what I was getting in to.

Karo and his sisters lost their cute tummy bulge from not receiving food. We knew how to help them from his siblings before, and everything was fine up until one night, Karo passed out and appeared to be dead. We frantically called around the vets in the area (mind you this is 1am) and they said get him sugar asap. Karo syrup.
    I ran down to a 24/7 mart as quick as I could and got back home, putting some on my pinky and rubbing it on his gums and tongue. We all cried when nothing happened for what felt like eternity. Only a couple of days in to meeting him, and he broke our hearts, what appeared to be a goodbye... then he hopped up and started meowing like crazy. Freaked us the hell out! And to this day, he has been the loviest, sweetest cat I've ever known.

Karo has not shown any signs of health issues until a few weeks ago. He started guzzling water and eating much, much more than usual, in result he was using the litter box every few hours. He'd been sleeping a lot more, and going under the bed to do so, which is out of character. This cat is always glued to me.

After I took him in to the vet, I started weening him off of dry food completely. He is now eating Fancy Feast chicken pate, and B.F.F in Bento Be Mine (I think that's the name..)
    Within a couple of days, he wasn't guzzling water, and he hasn't wanted food constantly.

His results came back and his BG was 479.
    My vet and I decided to wait on insulin until my BG device Alphatrak 2 came in. this was a couple days ago I talked to her.
    Today I got it, and I tested him, unfortunately after he had his breakfast a couple hours prior.
    It came up as 297.. I was praying that the diet change would magically help him be better than that, but.. we can hope. :/

I'll be checking him again in the morning before he eats and report back to my vet for further action.
    My problem is, I am completely a nervous wreck about pricking his ear, and of course administering his insulin when I get it. I'll never give up on him just like hes always been there for me, but of course I'm sure like many others, I'm terrified of hurting him.

Sorry for the extreme long introduction... Karo is snoring right now. Haha!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Awe.... Welcome. How sweet you saved him!

It doesn't really hurt to the ear as long as you don't poke the vein. And by doing so you are keeping him really safe. IMG_3612.JPG

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Karo! Post any/all questions over on the main health forum so we can get started helping you. :)

5. kayteacat

kayteacat New Member

Thank you for the greeting, we both appreciate it. :) <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.