Hello from Manda and Lou!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hello all!
    My name is Amanda and I rescued my cat Lucius 7 years ago next month. We live with my fiance Caleb and my other rescue cat, 10-year-old Bella. Lucius (also known as Lou or Loudogg) is 9 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes June 8, 2017. To say we were shocked was an understatement. Lou has always been a big boy (18-20 lbs), but he lost a lot of weight in a very short time frame (went from 19 to 13 lbs in a couple of months). When he was diagnosed, his BG was 539 at the vet's office.

Needless to say, our lives have been in a state of flux. We switched from his previous dry food to a prescription diet we received from the vet. After finding this site and doing as much research as possible, we bought different flavors of canned we food (although only those with less than 10% carbs per Dr. Lisa's helpful list). I started at-home insulin monitoring with a Contour Next meter on Sunday (6/11), and have been checking his levels at least 2x/day since.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone out there. I'm sure I'll be posting plenty as we find our footing.... :)

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Welcome! You already have a SS going! Awesome!
    You'll find super helpful people in the main health forum and the vetsulin forum as well!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Amanda and Loudogg! :) You've got the basics well in hand. I suggest you post on the main health forum and in the Vetsulin forum for assistance with dosing. I see some missed shots and greens on your SS. It's early days but it looks like your kitty needs a smaller dose that allows you to give insulin both AM and PM consistently. Yes, it's possible to change the dose depending on AM and PM BG numbers. However, in my opinion it's better to keep the same dose AM and PM until you accumulate more data to have a bigger picture of Lou's responses.

I see that your vet recommended 4 u twice a day but you decided for yourself that was too high - great instincts! Is there any high carb dry in his diet (RC Glycobalance dry is high carb)?

If you could post on the main forum with this info it will help readers know what to suggest:
    • insulin / starting dose / what you've done since
    • food Lou gets
    • any other health issues/meds he has
    The other important info is in your signature already.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda! Beautiful cat! Great job testing already, and you really got the spreadsheet up fast! WTG!!! My cat was on Vetsulin too... So I might be able to help with doseing. The first thing that jumps out to me are those near hypos! You need to reduce your dose! Especially 3 units.... WAYYYY too high. Do you think you could do 1 unit twice a day consistently for a few days, regardless of the preshot number (unless it's under 200), then we can reevaluate the dose. Dosing your cat isn't just about the preshot, it's about how low it goes.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the FDMB Amanda and Lucious! Nice to meet you!
    It looks like you're already set up with a spreadsheet. WTG! I'm sure you'll find it very helpful.

Since this forum was never intended for offering advice, please post your questions & concerns On Health - (The Main Forum) or you could go directly to the Vetsulin support group since you already have a spreadsheet in use: Caninsulin/Vetsulin and N/NPH. Not that many members frequent this forum. If you post on Health or in the Vetsulin group you'll get more attention.

Again, welcome and hope to see you posting often! :)

7. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Hi Amanda, welcome! I've only got a couple weeks experience on you and we're on the same insulin.
    I look forward to watching how Loudogg does compared to my Fabby! Fantastic name for a cat by the way! Love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.